View Full Version : FINAL US PPL DESCISION !!!

Trislander
22nd Jun 2001, 01:36
Would I be more likely to pass the PPL if I trained somewhere more expensive or in UK/CI than at a certain flight school in FLA with the biggest red and black ad in the back of Flyer?

I am worried about that old saying: "Buy cheap, buy twice".

I don't want to waste my money if I am more likey to do better elsewhere!!!

Thanks, Tri

Pielander
22nd Jun 2001, 01:54
I found that the most valuable asset I had when doing my PPL was time. I didn't have a lot of money, but I knew I could spend all summer at the same school if needs be to get the thing finished in a reasonable number of hours. As it happened, this was sometimes a disadvantage, because I 'wasted' a few hours going for practice sessions when the weather was unsuitable for my test. In hindsight, I should have put up with the boredom and stayed on the ground until the big day, and then I would have had a pretty cheap PPL.

I did my PPL in the UK, of course, and I don't see how you could ever have the same flexibility in the US. It's nice to be able to go back to the same club too. Email me if you like.

Pie

Delta Wun-Wun
22nd Jun 2001, 02:11
If you do your PPL in the US it`s going to be quite intensive,still passable, as loads of people on here have done so.I prefered to do my PPL here.I saved up enough money to allow me to fly 2/3 times a week.That worked for me,it gave me chance to absorb some of what I was being taught.I can see the arguments for training on both sides of the water.Basically it`s down to personal choice.Which ever route you choose good luck.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

kanga
22nd Jun 2001, 02:48
i've flown in ireland And at that black and red place shown in flyer. i can write up a list of pros and cons of each if you're interested, just drop me an email.

The man formerly known as
22nd Jun 2001, 12:36
There are lots of pros and cons and the argument has been thrashed lots in other threads.

Money does not always buy quality. The best thing to go off are recommendations. A tin pot school with one aircraft and a very keen instructor can be better than a pilot factory with a high instructor turnover.

At the end of the day it is a lottery but providing you don't pay lots up front you can change schools if you don't like it. The hours you have done still count and you start where you left off with the last school.

The best reason for training on a fast US course is you get the licence. Lots of people give up in england after their lesson has been cancelled for the sixth time due to high wind, waterlogged runway, rain, cloud etc..

Whichever don't worry about it too much just bite the bullet and do it, enjoy it and join the club.

Clouded Yellow
22nd Jun 2001, 12:55
There is no clear cut answer to this one, your own personal circumstances will dictate what you do.

Consider this though, I am doing my PPL in the UK, started 2 months ago, doing 3 evenings a week, main advantage is I am still working, and with my Summer holidays coming up, will hopefully get through in a reasonable timescale. I suppose I will have paid a lot more.

Now, if your talking about hour building...I am off to the States.

expedite_climb
22nd Jun 2001, 13:05
Re: the people in that ad.

Dont do it mate.

Buy cheap, buy twice.