PDA

View Full Version : Untold Ansett stories

18-Wheeler
22nd Sep 2002, 11:05
Let's have some relief from the angst for a while, and tell some of the stories from behind the scenes that we perhaps may not have been able to before.

I fly for Air Atlanta Icelandic, on 747's, and I remember in late 2000 I got a call from the company while I was having time off in Aus. They wanted to know if I was available to fly one of our 747's for Ansett, based in Brisbane. I was really surprised, but I knew that Ansett were having a lot of problems with their 767's at the time.
I was maybe a little selfish, but I was really looking forwards to do trips like that, mainly because it meant the trip to work was only an hours, vs the twenty odd hours it normally takes me to get to the UK to start the typical tour. :)
Of course it didn't end up happening - I never thought it would - but if it did it certainly would have made for interesting times.

I think it was also around mid 1995 or so that I got a call from the GA company I was working for at the time, and they wanted me to get in a Citation 1, take it to Hamiton Island with some parts to rescue a broken down 146. I hadn't flown the Citation for a while, and the 1 I'd only flown on my initial F/O's type rating a few years before, but I reckoned it wouldn't be that hard to do, so away we went.
The ground engineers in Brissy loaded us up with a few boxes of various parts that they though the plane stuck on the island would be needing.
Anyway, we got up there just fine and presented the engineers there with the boxes. After a grand total of three seconds of looking in the boxes, the guy says, "Nah, they're the wrong parts, you'll have to go back and get some more."
So, after a wait of an hour or so we filled up with some pax that had to make connections down in Brissy and off we went back there.
More boxes on arrival, then back to Hamilton.
Right boxes this time, more waiting on the ground, more pax back to Brissy.

No doubt there's other stories from other people.

Go right ahead, please! ;)

puff
22nd Sep 2002, 12:08
Great Keppel in a Citation with parts for a 146?......sure you don't mean Hamilton?

18-Wheeler
22nd Sep 2002, 13:08
Yep, fixed .... Ta for that.

fruitloop
23rd Sep 2002, 00:19
18-Wheeler'

Just curious as to the date in 95 ??

Ta:D

18-Wheeler
23rd Sep 2002, 03:19
*thumbing through old log book*

20-5-1995, VH-ICX, Citation 1.

Did we (slowly) rescue you?

fruitloop
23rd Sep 2002, 05:41
"Thumbing through memory blank".

No it wasn't me,however the same "prob"occured 2 days later and the component that was changed also had an "intermitent"
defect,which was caused by another component.
(I changed that one)

Cheers:)

john_tullamarine
23rd Sep 2002, 05:58
..... then, of course, there are all the stories of alleged happenings in Perth and Darwin over the years ......:D

Capt Vegemite
23rd Sep 2002, 22:07
The holding pattern used by freighter crews on the footpath outside the early opening boozer in Cairns.

Capt Vegemite
24th Sep 2002, 00:59
"Spiderman" stories from Brissy?

emeritus
25th Sep 2002, 10:03
Capt Veg...only BNE?

I remember a trip MEL..Syd back in the 60's on a 700 series Viscount with the galley up the front. We had on board about half a dozen models doing a fashion parade and guess where they were changing their gear?..It was very difficult to concentrate on navigating with at least 2 models at any one time wandering around the galley in their underwear!!!

18-Wheeler
25th Sep 2002, 14:11
M'kay, sod the stories, I want pictures now! :D

Capt Vegemite
26th Sep 2002, 10:50
OOooooo the 60's stockings and suspenders and other things ter get yer fly buttons caught in.

Did fly the 700 but not for AN.

Was no naked wimmen on board tho:(