PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Lights

Pass-A-Frozo
22nd Sep 2002, 07:59
Can anyone tell me where in the civil aviation regulations / orders I can find information regarding use of navigation lights in regard to whether they should be selected to flashing or steady? A brief synopsis here would be nice too :)

Regards,
PAF

AMRAAM
22nd Sep 2002, 08:24
PAF

The 100 series CAO's (eng) cover standards for aircraft lights. From memory it lists lights that are required for aircraft. Can't remebr the actual number but think it is near the beginning (101)
Again from memory, it only lists lights required for night (or more correctly, non-daylight) operations, which seems to indicate that NO lights are required for day operations.

I will have a look at the company 100 series next week, and post again.

Pass-A-Frozo
22nd Sep 2002, 08:30
Is there an online link for CAO's ?

trying to see if they mention "Flashing at night, steady by day" or words to that effect. UK ones state words to that effect.

PAF

Islander Jock
22nd Sep 2002, 09:23
PAF,

Section 5 of ANO 108.32 seems to point in the right direction however I cannot find the ICAO ANR that it refers to.

5.3 — Lights (refer paragraph 5.3)
The required characteristics of navigation lights and anti-collision lights are detailed in regulations 181 and 182 of the Air Navigation Regulations, ICAO Annex 8 and
Air Navigation Orders Section 108.50.

All the CASA legislative docs can be found here (http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/rules/index.htm)

Capt EFIS
22nd Sep 2002, 13:43
The reference is CAR 196(2)...

(2) Unless CASA otherwise directs, navigation lights shall be steady lights.

Cheers,

Capt EFIS.

Pass-A-Frozo
23rd Sep 2002, 03:54
Out of CAR (1988) 196

(4)
Where the lights are flashing lights, the aircraft:

(a)
shall display an additional flashing white light visible in all directions; and

(b)
may display an additional flashing red rear light;

What does that bit relate to then??

Cheers,
PAF
(Sorry, haven't had many dealings with CAR's etc.)

Capt EFIS
24th Sep 2002, 13:10
Not sure about that one. The only aircraft that I have seen with flashing nav lights were American military aircraft.

Pass-A-Frozo
1st Oct 2002, 08:39
Do you mean the only aircraft you've seen fitted with them, or using them were US Military aircraft?

PAF