PDA

View Full Version : What to do while looking for that first job?

BlueCross
22nd Sep 2002, 03:12
I'm in the unfortunate situation that I have done my CPL and multi IR, but I do not have a career to fall back on now that the job market is slow. I'm just curious about what you would suggest to do while searching for the job, as in what would look good on my resume? I've considered being an FA for a while, or working the ramp for some smaller charter operation. Any suggestions on those?

gizbug
22nd Sep 2002, 16:19
I'm in the same boat, let me know what advice you are given =)

redsnail
23rd Sep 2002, 18:39
Some ideas.
Flying wise.
Para ops
Scenics
Glider towing
Fire or fish spotting
Go to a country that has a reasonably amount of GA.

Non Flying wise.
Ops. (worked for me) Pick a smaller company if possible.
Despatch
Loader/Baggage handler
FA
Refueller
Check in
Freight forwarding
Maintenance workshops

deza
24th Sep 2002, 18:09
just keep looking up in the sky at us guy's that's got jobs, and keep telling your self that I will be up there one day?

it wil happen if you want it two.

deza :)

BlueCross
25th Sep 2002, 01:07
Ohh I know it'll happen!! I'm way too stubborn to ever give up. :)

But it may take a while, the industry being the way it is now. Especially here in Canada, even ramp jobs are next to impossible to come by now. And insurance minimum hour requirements have been raised so high that many pilots lost their jobs because of that. But I believe that they (insurance minimums, not the pilots) will slowly return to normal. While I wait for that to happen, I believe I should still be working in the industry.

And I just applied to two differenct companies to be an FA.
So how would airlines and smaller charter companies look at FA experience on my resume? I'm hoping it'd be a good thing?

starship
25th Sep 2002, 11:52
Bluecross,

I am in your position and have worked a variety of positions in the business.

People may say that it will just fill in a gap and earn you some money. I see other advantages, and they have paid off for me in varying ways.

If you become an FA, you will gain a knowledge of how an airline actually works which others will not have in your position. You will benefit from working an airline style roster, learning Safety and Emergency Procedures (SEP) and First Aid. All things which are required of pilots too. Yes, SEP varies with the likes of drills from one airline to another, however the end result - safety - is the same and hence knowledge transferrable.

Working despatch will give a good insight into ground operations as you will be responsible for organising and running the turnaround of an aircraft, trained in weight and balance, and see the time precious element of an airline operation.

Whichever you choose, these are two very rewarding jobs which you will no doubt look at as good supporting knowledge to any form of pilot career. I have done both, and am happy I did. In addition, you will have the opportunity to meet experienced pilots who will be only too happy to share their knowledge of what is going on in your area re. flying with you.

At the end of the day, a flying job would be the best thing - your hours would be building and you will be more current. If you are unable to secure a flying job, stay current by using your pay you earn working IN the industry.

Work hard, it will pay off - above all - ENJOY.

cheers

starship :cool:

25th Sep 2002, 22:29
I'd recommend doing Ops over Cabin Crew.

Ties in more from a technical point of view regarding what you would have learnt from the writtens.

I fully agree with the cabin crew argument regarding SEPs etc, but I think more can be beneffited in the long run with ops as you work directly with line pilots along the following lines;

Flight Planning
Fuel loads
Weight and Balance
Jepps
Rostering (inc Duty hrs, Split shifts, Diescression etc)
Telex (AFTN, SITA, IFPS)
Immigration

This is gonna be better applied when you eventually get a job flying, as oppose to cabin crew work which may keep you in touch with the airline environment, but very much 'out of the loop' from a pilot's operational point of view.

Try and remember that SEP's will be covered as part of your training - whereas a decent applied knowledge of ops is not, but would be a better feather for the cap.

Before you all start, I'm not cabin crew bashing (I'm not the type)!

starship
26th Sep 2002, 16:09
5150, I would agree with you that OPS would be a very good stop gap, and indeed if it was a previous career route would give a good background to take into any career as a pilot.

cheers,

starship :cool:

MAX
27th Sep 2002, 08:48
Ops Definately!! Read my posting to find out why:
here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67273&pagenumber=2)

MAX:cool:

v1rotate
27th Sep 2002, 23:43
I worked in an office doing admin sort of stuff behind a computer before I got my first job. In hindsight, I should have applied to be ground crew at London City Airport as it was closer to where I lived. I just took the first job I got offered at the Job Centre to pay the bills.

On the weekends I did parachute dropping in a Cessna C206 which kept me current.

I would say to get any job at first to pay the bills then start looking at related jobs to aviation (flying).