PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail Users Beware VIRUS!

DX Wombat
21st Sep 2002, 21:38
There seems to be a virus in the form of a "New Notepad Document" being transmitted via Hotmail email. It is about 30 - 40 Kb in size ( plus or minus a few kb) and I have been pestered by at least ten attempts to pass this on to me this evening.:mad: :mad: :mad:
It is confined to my hotmail email address - none of the others appear to be affected by these attempts. I have run a further virus check - in addition to my own McAfee, and my computer is clear. WATCH OUT and delete immediately if you find any!:mad: :mad: :mad:

ATCbabe
21st Sep 2002, 22:14
Dx,

Same here hon. Been getting word pad documents sent to my hotmail account for a few months.
Several virus checks later and no virus on my puter!!!

Just deleted 13 emails with them in it, and thats only todays bundles of joy:(

If you find a way of stopping it let me know, coz hotmail are no help at all!!!!:mad: :mad:

fobotcso
21st Sep 2002, 23:10
It's tedious, but make your Hotmail Bulk Mail filter "Exclusive" and enter all the e-mail addresses that you want to receive from in the appropriate box.

All other e-mails, together with their viruses if any, will go direct to the Bulk Mail folder and be deleted automatically.

djk
22nd Sep 2002, 05:43
The virus checker on your pc will show up as your pc being clear of viruses. When you open your hotmail, all the mail that is there is sitting on the hotmail server, and hasn't been downloads onto your pc. so therefore the virus is on the server.

As fobotcso stated, all you need to do is just delete the mails and then add the email address into your filters so it just moves it directly to your trash or to the "junk mail" mailbox

Specaircrew
22nd Sep 2002, 09:01
Another good reason not to use Hotmail! Most of the better UK ISPs now offer web access to your email or you can use Mail2web and other similar services to access your mail when you're away from home. The US military blocks hotmail on its 'welfare' computers and I'm sure lots of other organisations do to.

DX Wombat
22nd Sep 2002, 17:13
Unfortunately I need the hotmail address in order to use MS Messenger which is a very usefool tool for me.
Hotmail got back to me today to say that they were looking into it but that it seems to be a variant of that other nasty the W32 Klez virus. I have also had email from "Bulls..tsc" :rolleyes: - for a screensaver and encouraging me to pass it on to my friends - :eek:they must be joking! I wouldn't even pass it on to my enemies. :mad: :mad: