PDA

View Full Version : Multi combined with CPL.

Delta Wun-Wun
21st Sep 2002, 17:29
I would be interested in people`s opinions are whether it is better to combine a multi- rating as part of the CPL course or complete a Multi rating separate from the CPL course.

The Boy Lard
21st Sep 2002, 20:59
D-1-1

Didnt we stand on the grass at the airport and have this conversation this afternoon?

If so, then you know my views, if NOT, then get the price for the combined and if its less than CPL plus twin rating then go for it, afterall its twin time!

Cheers

TBL:cool:

Grivation
21st Sep 2002, 21:38
Agreed - go with whichever is the cheaper option. 15 hours multi compared to 20 hours multi ain't gonna make a lick of difference when we're dealing with a newly qualified licence holder.

B412
22nd Sep 2002, 12:36
I saw two guys do this and two guys fail it. Basically after the lengthy period off flying due to the completion of their theory requirements, the demands of the CPL training, harder than the PPL, and then a new type to boot, saw the expense go up. This was because they had to pay two test fees and hire the twin for two flight tests. So beware. Make the decision mid course and don't fool yourself. Passing the CPL skills test is the important thing here.

Delta Wun-Wun
22nd Sep 2002, 14:03
Bloody small world ain`t it. The Boy Lard are you starting an FIc in November?
Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.
I think I may have enough to learn without it all whizzing by at Twin speed.

G-SPOTs Lost
22nd Sep 2002, 19:15
Just to perhaps give another point of view, perhaps it may be no good to do the twin rating seperately.

I did a 14 hour (minimum) twin rating on a seneca in the States and didn't fly a twin for two years after that.

1st day of my IR passed the twin engined class revalidation no probs. I was truly amazed at how quickly the skills vcame back whilst in the air.

I do put this down to the fact that in the UK the course requirements for a B rating was only 5 hours + test. In the states it was 13 hours plus + written test + oral + flight test. Dont expect to do 5 hours in a twin and be able to fly them properly or build up a level of experience that you can later rely on in court!!

Im not saying I am the B's Knees, as previously admitted on these forums I do consider my self of average ability so bear all the above in mind. In doing the Multi seperately you may not be doing yourself any long term favours..

Best of Luck!

FRIDAY
23rd Sep 2002, 00:08
I have been curious about this too recently,
I also noticed that oats do the me rating as part of the IR module,
Personally i would rather do it as part of the cpl module, Or am I confused here? don't you need to do me flying as part of IR to get an IR multi?????

Baggy
23rd Sep 2002, 11:23
Keep it simple (s).

Do the CPL s/e, its hard enough as it is, so dont create more problems for yourself. Another 10 or 15 hrs m/e will make no differance to the employer...

DiverDriver
23rd Sep 2002, 21:43
Firstly a public congrats on finishing all your exams :) :)
Secondly as per our conversation last night a number of points to bear in mind. As already stated the name of the game is to pass the skill test. Even though I did mine on a SEP (TB20) the cruise speed was 140kts which whilst less than most twins still gave the examiner a bit of a headache when it came to the nav leg due to airspace restrictions terrrain and weather considerations.
From what I have heard comming out of other schools where you have no choice but to complete on a multi it is taking them considerable time to get up to speed and when you consider the cost of learning on such machines during the cpl course is also inflated to cpl rate a further 5 to 10 hrs beyond the requisite 25 can make a severe dent in the pocket.
If you add to this the fact that the rating needs to be renewed every 12 months when the likelyhood of gaining employment flying twins at the moment is limited then you are looking at a rating you just dont need at the moment.
My advice stick with the Arrow for the CPL skills test and when you start to see oportunities for twin time in the future get the rating then at considerably less cost that you will pay during your CPL training.

Regards DD