PDA

View Full Version : Training Appointments

karaoke
21st Sep 2002, 15:16
My company, in common with others I'm sure, is about to undertake a fairly major restructuring in how it goes about its business in these more cost conscious times. One of the more ambitious projects involves fleet and pilot re-basing in order to establish a low cost arm and establishing a whole new set of working conditions. No mean feat you'll agree !
When this re-arrangement has been completed, there will probably be too many trainers. Some will have to relinquish their positions, many held for years, often appointed on the 'old boy' network. The company preferred option seems to be an unimaginative, lets just use the seniority list. However they are open to other schemes, and have asked for suggestions.

How is it done in your company, or how would you like to see it done ?
Eventually of course, what goes round comes round , and more trainers will be required. How should they be selected or appointed ?

Firm Touchdown
24th Sep 2002, 23:50
I believe that I might just work for the same company. Using the seniority list will be a disaster in the making.

How about training seniority?

How about allowing some trainers to fly two fleets (i.e. train on B737 but fly A320)?

How about gettig rid of some of the 'old boys' who are close to retirement. Their pensions should not be affected?

It is very unfortunate that the trainers will be working their nuts off for the next 12 months, only to be told to get stuffed shortly afterwards.

Company seniority has its merits, but not in the training environment. Teaching ability and enthusiasm should be the overriding factor for training. Some of the better trainers just happen to be the least senior. I hope the managers carefully ponder this one before making rash decisions.

moleslayer
27th Sep 2002, 12:27
How about keeping all the current crop of trainers on the payroll, but only paying a retainer based on level of rating held, plus a lump sum payment every time a training flight or sim session is undertaken.
This way a broad spectrum of experience and licences is retained, and the final annual cost to the company shouldn't be too much different.
Of course if the company are looking to REDUCE the training costs then a number will have to go, and those remaining work harder !
I don't doubt the company would dearly like to offload those higher paid manager/trainers who haven't been near a simulator in years, and as for line training, forget it.
In my company (Middle Eastern), training positions have always been seen as a perk for managers nearing retirement, a means to boost the pension in the last few years. That way you don't have to actually put the effort in for years on end, but are able to commute a decent lump sum from the pension scheme as they kiss goodbye.
A cynical view I appreciate, but borne from experience.

:cool: