PDA

View Full Version : Total Self Funding

twm737
21st Sep 2002, 11:50
Is it possible to totally fund yourself through an ab inito course (through loans, credit cards, CDL's etc) or do most people have a few quid in the bank to start off from?

I am planning to book a block of 5-10 hrs or so of flying to get a better feel of my own aptitudes before going on to look at obtaining further funding and a 1st class medical.

I have been through the Cranfield aptitude tests/medical but didn’t have the perfect vision so I am hopeful on the above. The only sticking point comes from the ability to raise the funds from scratch by myself.

Has any one gone through a similar route i.e. totally funded themselves or does any one have any helpful comments.

phd
21st Sep 2002, 19:55
twm 737

Yes you can self fund all the way to a fATPL with IR, FI, multi, and FIC rating etc. plus several thousand hours as did my spouse. It took several years, lots of hard work and cash and a supportive husband (that's me). Initially she put an Assistant Flying Instructors rating on the PPL at a cost of £5K - as you did not need a CPL to instruct at that time (well before JARs came along and knackered everything up). This enabled her to instruct part time at weekends, earn money to support the flying and build hours and experience, while doing a proper job Monday to Friday to keep the wolves at bay. She eventually got round to doing a CPL, and turned to instructing full-time, then decided she really wanted an ATPL plus the IR, the multi and the rest. This lead her into some very interesting jobs within flying training and has proved a rewarding and challenging career.

I am now considering doing something similar myself after 15 years in a fairly dull job. Trouble is, it has all become a lot more difficult, time consuming and expensive to gain the requisite knowledge, experience and qualifications to pursue a career as a pilot in the UK. I may never make it to the flight deck of anything larger than my current Grob 115 but I will have a darn good time trying.

Never give up pursuing your dream.

CAP509castaway
23rd Sep 2002, 19:06
Print your email address and I will get in touch with you:D :D :D