PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with my CPL?

toss
21st Sep 2002, 08:09
Hi all,

Last year I got myself a JAR CPL (R) I only have 300 hours and I'm already 33 years old. Is there any kind of flying job I could aim for with just a CPL, all the jobs seem to require a frozen ATPL, I couldn't face doing all the exams again and still be unemployable.

When I started on the CPL route I thought I could get a job as an FO then take ATPL exams if I was ever offered captaincy, is this still a realistic hope?

I'd be really grateful for any advice as the chap at Flight Crew Licensing seems to think I could fly anything as a FO, but I'm sure it's probably very different in the real world.

Many thanks

Clint

foghorn
21st Sep 2002, 09:02
Why not enrol at one of the cheaper distance learning groundschools and get the ATPLs out of the way while the job market is still bu**ered?

cheers!
foggy.

redsnail
21st Sep 2002, 13:32
He is technically correct but reality would say that the employer would want the ATPL subjects done so they know that you won't be a permanent FO.
You can use your CPL to do other jobs. Para dropping, glider towing, fire spotting (perhaps not the UK!!!), instructing (with the rating), scenics.... basicly any flying (within insurance and legal reasons) that doesn't require 2 crew. You will probably need more hours to do Air Taxi but it's a start.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
21st Sep 2002, 14:19
Redsnail is quite correct, technially you are employable, but I think the majority of airlines will want you to have an IR, MCC and all ATPL exams passed.

Ever thought about aerial photography? I know that some time ago a company called heliview (fly fixed wind aswell) were looking for pilots, think they paid about £100 day, but don't quote me on that. Heliview operates from blackbush.

Just a thought :D.

Pilot Pete
22nd Sep 2002, 23:00
You are 33 years young.

If you want to fly for an airline you need to pass the ATPL subjects as a minimum. Why would they take you on with a restriction such as Right Hand Seat only when there is a queue of people without that restriction?

If airline flying is not your goal then follow the advice already given..................

PP

toss
23rd Sep 2002, 16:16
Hi

Many thanks for all your valuable advice. I think I'll build hours however I can and aim for part time instructor then one day air taxi.

Cheers

Clint

muppet
23rd Sep 2002, 18:25
I found myself in your position 3 years ago.

Really you will need to do the ATPLs, then it was only a bit more on the navs. I do recall wishing I had not bothered with the CPLs in the end as the ATPLs were not really any more difficult. Just the same old game of learning the correct responces to questions which were pretty meaningless.

Good luck.:p