PDA

View Full Version : Bristol GS vs Oxford (Distance Learning)

OBK!
20th Sep 2002, 16:51
I was planning on doing distance learning with Bristol, because of there record and competitive price. However, I just popped into Oxford's website and they are offering the official Jepessen type course for a similar price...

which one would be better? experienced comments appreciated.

FlyingForFun
20th Sep 2002, 17:00
the official Jepessen type course
All schools offer an "official" course, which has been approved by the CAA - not quite sure what difference it would make if it was a Jepessen course.

I can only say that Bristol are excellent. The notes are superb, the CD is a huge help, and when you go for brush-up you'll find that the instructors are some of the best around.

I've heard great things about Oxford too - mainly with regard to the residential course, but their distance learning is apparently as good as any of the others.

Probably best to get a sample of the notes from each school, and see which you think would be the easiest to learn from. And don't forget to take a look at Bristol's CD. But, from what I've heard, you'll be ok whichever of those two you choose.

Good luck!

FFF
-----------

Send Clowns
20th Sep 2002, 17:13
OBK!

The other way round - Jeppesen distribute the Oxford manuals for those not on Oxford courses. The covers say both OATS and Jeppesen, but the manuals were written in-house at Oxford. There is nothing more 'official' about Oxford's manuals than Bristol's, GTS's or ours (BCFT).

Note that manuals written in-house tend to have the advantage, as the copyright does not stop the instructors ammending the manuals as it does with licensed manuals. The instructors know what areas need changing (and I can tell you it's a continuous process!) and can push the changes through quickly. I would say that I have helped students with private study when I was self employed, students of distance learning from both courses, so I have taught from both sets of manuals, and I would not put Oxford's above Bristols. I have met Alex Wittingham (of BGS) and like him, and Bristol have efficient administration.

Clogmaster
20th Sep 2002, 17:45
Bristol!
Just passed all phase 2 exams.
Excellent notes, brushup course and feedback questions.
Thanks to Alex and the others at BGS :)
CM

Father Mulcahy
20th Sep 2002, 18:11
Have to agree with Clogmaster (well done), Having also just passed all the phase 1 exams.

Very impressed with the support I was given @ Bristol. Feedback was spot on. All the instructors are mucho experienced in their fields, it's worth the money just to listen to some of their stories (especially Ken's one on falling out of the sky in an Mirage trying to find out the cloud top height of tropical thunderstorms - mental!)

FM

monkeyboy
20th Sep 2002, 18:47
OBK!, basically there is very little between them. (Oxford & Bristol) Both will get you the passes and at around the same cost.

What does swing it for some people (myself included) is whether they have relations or friends nearby where you can stay for the 2 week brush up courses that are mandatory before sitting the exams, hence you don't have to fork out for accommodation costs. IMHO believe it comes down to cost at the end of the day between these two.

You'll do alright whichever one you choose.

MB

vicarofdibley
20th Sep 2002, 19:55
Bristol notes are the best. I purchased a set of Oxford whilst training at another integrated school to help me out.

The new Bristol CD is excellent - and the school is totally proactive. Ask Alex how many questions he has queried from the September sitting and ask Oxford the same... Arbitary I know, but at least it gives you a basis for your decision, and in my opinion gives you an idea of just how helpful the school will be.

Broken Wings
20th Sep 2002, 20:35
You have chosen the top two in the country and neither will be the right or wrong decision. My opinion as an ex-BGS student is that they are first class and are totaly dedicated to the ground exams. I think you'll find that B&B's are cheaper in the Bristol area compared to Oxford.

License to Fly
20th Sep 2002, 20:50
One added point - If you can afford to take time off from working I would really recommend doing a full time course.

I am at Oxford at the moment and it makes the course so much easier to have someone explaining to you the concepts and more importantly the areas which have been examined on. I started doing distance learing and I found it harder.

Oxford gets 10/10 from myself

LTF

laurie
20th Sep 2002, 21:07
Hi Ben,

Choose BGS!

Regards,

Laurie

skyrabbit
20th Sep 2002, 22:42
Bristol, absolutely brilliant!

OBK!
20th Sep 2002, 22:56
A great debate!

BGS I think it is then.

Many thanks for your comments ;)

avrodamo
20th Sep 2002, 23:27
BGS without a doubt!

EGCC4284
22nd Sep 2002, 00:42
Just got in from a 13:00pm - 01:00am shift on the ramp.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4993&highlight=FLIGHT+TRAINING+EXHIBITION

Chuffer Chadley
22nd Sep 2002, 10:20
Slightly off topic, I know, but...

Has anyone got experience of GTS at Bournemouth? They are offering a distance-learning course, a bit cheaper than Oxford or Bristol. Only a bit, mind, but as I live in that neck of the woods, it could potentially be a saving to me of several hundred pounds.

They are at :

www.gtserv.co.uk

"Established by ex-RAF, ex-PPSC instructors Roger Henshaw, Peter Swatton and David Webb the company aims to provide aspiring ATPL and Instrument Rating candidates with high quality, professional, ground training at a fair price.

Between them, Roger, Peter and David have over 35 years of experience in both classroom based and distance learning based aviation courses and whilst at their former employer established an excellent reputation and success rate in the JAA examinations.
"

Or so it says.

Any ideas?

CC

B412
22nd Sep 2002, 12:25
Well the guys when they were at PPSC got me 14 from 14 in two sittings and the notes were very good. I did the distance learning and the two 2 week consolidation courses. I don't think you could go wrong with those fellows, and if the price is more competitive, the remainder can be used for those other expenses still to come after the theory part. Any thing which keeps the total expense at the minimum must be a consideration.
They may be new as GTS, but they have a huge background from years past, which is why I chose them last year. :)

Gin Slinger
22nd Sep 2002, 13:08
These Training Provider X vs Training Provider Y debates often get silly. They usually turn into p1ssing competitions between ex students or (and perhaps covertly) between employees of the organisations themselves.

My 2 cents would be to just pick the one closest to you; if you work hard enough and have an adequate level of intelligence, you'll succeed.

Chuffer Chadley
22nd Sep 2002, 15:37
B412- Thanks for the info. I'll probably end up with them, then. And Gin Slinger, I think that you're right- thsi forum is probably best used in this way to warn about any (if any) duff deals around here....

Ciao!
CC