PDA

View Full Version : NIGHT LANDINGS AT FNC can it be done?

quickturnaround
20th Sep 2002, 09:31
Just recently I learned that the commercial boys in our company are planning late flights to FNC Madeira. I think that day time operations are challenging us enough. Are there any operators Portugese, UK or others who have experience with night landings at FNC?. Are there additional qualifications required by the Portugese CAA, or is the standard checkout enough?.

Who knows more?
greetings QTA:confused:

fiftyfour
20th Sep 2002, 10:44
Night landings are permitted. The airline must apply for special permission from Portuguese CAA. This is given to airlines (including foreign airlines) that have a history of regular flights and wide experience of the airport during the day. Extra crew qualifications, like night sim rides, not required.

Sir Kitt Braker
20th Sep 2002, 14:58
The field is well lit and there are hundreds of lights on the hillside approach. The winds are always slacker at night - it's not a problem. Enjoy

fantom
20th Sep 2002, 17:05
we have been doing it for a couple of years. not a trip of choice, but ok now that there is a wonderful runway.

:)

Queue vert
20th Sep 2002, 21:20
Having done it, I can't say I like doing.
Rather high sphincter factor.

Krueger
20th Sep 2002, 23:26
We do it every single day without a problem.
Once you get used to it, it's a piece of cake.

batty_boy
21st Sep 2002, 08:25
I try to do it every day , keeps the pipes clean, never been to funchal at night tho;)

fireflybob
21st Sep 2002, 09:21
Been to FNC quite a few times a while ago and often wondered why we didn't go there at night. However, whatever the time of day (or night!) it can be a challenging airfield to operate from.

Just a point though - the surface winds at night may well be lighter but theory says that you get more windshear on the approach at night compared to day since the change from geostrophic wind takes place over a thinner layer as the friction layer is thinner at night.

Perhaps you should watch for that awkward shear more at night than by day - don't be misled by the light surface winds!!

quickturnaround
21st Sep 2002, 10:26
Thanks for all the replies until now. I wonder if you would be able to detect down& updrafts so easy at night, since there are less visual clues to look at.
I found the ride in the sim (Day&Night) under the worst possible circumstances quite revealing.......

Greetings,QTA

pom
21st Sep 2002, 22:52
It used to be banned by the UK CAA but no more. I flew in there at night about 15 years ago when flying for a Scandanavian company - not only night landings but night stops as well. I always found it was far less traumatic flying in there at night, the wind effects always seemed far smaller to me. Of course, this was before the new runway. Although it is longer, the approach to 23 is much closer to the hill.

MaxAOB
23rd Sep 2002, 11:34
FNC should always be given the respect that it deserves. The longer runway may make some people feel better but it can persuade some pilots to persevere with an approach that they should throw away.

:) :D :)