PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated, on my third sitting of ATPLs,can't seem to get any further with studys,

Dean Johnston
19th Sep 2002, 19:03
No matter how hard I study I just can't seem to get any further, I have sat Mod 1 twice now, passed 4 but same marks for Met,Nav,M&B & Inst 68 & 69s anyone got any ideas, I have not used feedback much, is this the way forward ?

any suggestions will be welcome

ps any other students got to this stage or is it just me that can't hack-it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep yer nose up

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Davidils20l
19th Sep 2002, 20:27
Don't despair mate,

your not the only one. Am in the same situation and have spoke to a pretty big number who are in this situation. For my self, I am going to bite the bullete and £3000 extra I have and re-sit the course. New school, new training, except I already have a basic knowledge in it. Hell it would cost me the same to sit at home and keep studying till I passed. Either way you choose, keep at it.

There are refresher cources out there. Use them. There are people out there who want to help. Use them.

I wish you the best of luck in getting through you exams

Dean Johnston
19th Sep 2002, 20:38
Thanks for that ,feel better already. o is that the time, must go and get a beer.

Cheers:

flipper
19th Sep 2002, 20:40
You only fail when you give up!
This path we have chosen is a test of character. The points made above are very valid.
Feedback is an important tool in your revision and for polishing your "foundation "of basic knowledge. I think you never stop learning.
Keep positive. Remember the only silly question is the one you DON'T ask!
All the best. Good luck. flipper:)

wannabe1000
19th Sep 2002, 21:00
Keep your chin up. It can be done!
Top tip use ecery bit of feedback you can get your hands on, I tried to do it the way you are trying with the same result. ie fails. Feedback is the way to get the extra few percent that you need.
Im about to sit my last 4 exams havin passed the rest in 3 sittings after starting to use feedback.
Good luck you can do it!!!

Dean Johnston
19th Sep 2002, 21:32
Wannabe 1000 and all and sundrie.

wow I feel so much better, nothing to do with the six tins of Grolsch.

Its nice to get positives when it all seems negative, how the hell did I get onto compasses. time for another Grolsch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep that nose up

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Father Mulcahy
19th Sep 2002, 21:55
Dean,

Feedback, Feedback and more Feedback...

There is so much that you can be asked on in the ATPLs you have to "hedge" you bets and concentrate on what is most likely to come up !!!

For example, in a General Nav paper how many Polar Stereo questions are you going to get, one ? two at the most tops... why slog your heart out getting Stereo's down to a fine art if you are gash with the windside of your CRP-5 - which seems to count for at least half of the marks.

Proper feedback gives you an idea of what has been asked before, and therefore an idea of what might be asked again..

Of course you'll need to have a broad understanding of most of the stuff, but sit down and establish what is the most likely things to get asked... Manage your study time wisely.

I slogged my way through the Bristol GS Met module hating every minute of it, especially Climatology, just couldn't get my head around it. After a couple of feedback papers during the brush up course I noticed how little Climatology seemed to come up and how much of the basic stuff was examined, so worked hard on the basics, had an educated guess at the couple of Climatology questions and passed it.

Just think about all the stuff you learned for the exams you've passed. How much of it actually came up ? The question bank is not unlimited !!!

Stick in, I'm sure you'll crack it.

FM

Field In Sight
20th Sep 2002, 08:34
As everybody has already said the keyword is Feedback.

There will some questions in the exam that are exactly the same as in the feedback, so these marks are effectively free.

I find a huge benefit of feedback is to help you to prioritise your revision to "currently examined" areas. Although this might not be true for your exam.

But the main benefit for me is highlighting gaps and misunderstandings in my knowledge of a subject.

My revision technique is as follows:

1. Go through all the feedback questions once.

2. For each question I add a note next to the answer I give as follows:
i. Nothing extra if I am 100% sure of the answer.
ii. 1 question mark if there is a bit of doubt.
iii. 3 question marks if I am completely guessing.

EXAMPLE:
Q56 A ??? -> Complete guess
Q57 D ? -> Not quite sure, but I think it's right.
Q58 C -> Completely sure.

3. When I check the answers I do the following:
i. If I was 100% sure and got it right then I don't need to revise this again.
i. If I was 100% sure but got it wrong then this is due to a misunderstanding and is the most serious flaw in my knowledge. So I go back to the notes to try to understand why.
ii. 1 Question mark I just check if I got it right.
iii. 3 Question marks. I check the answer and re-read the notes to find out why.

After completing this process I only re-revise anything that caused me a problem first time around i.e. anything I got wrong or had some doubt over. This allows me to come up with a shortlist of things to revise the day before the exam.

Sorry if this note was a bit long, but the process definately worked for me and hopefully will do in 6 weeks time.:)

FIS

skeet surfer
20th Sep 2002, 08:35
It's been 15 months since I did my exams and back then you could have taken your textbooks into some of the exams and still not pass them......

The JAR version of aviation sometimes doesn't agree with reality...... The solution to this problem are feedback questions.

You must find/beg/borrow/steal as many FB Q's as possible. Make sure you've got the answers too. Once you've marked your answers, pay special attention to the ones you got wrong - You'll find that a good percentage seem to have the wrong answer when checked alongside a textbook..... welcome to JAR!

I passed gen nav on the strength of feedback questions alone..

Also, as mentioned by others above, you can sometimes see that you may not need to revise certain areas as thoroughly as others (ie: climatology, polar stereo etc)....

Hopefully the fact you have done some of these exams already will give you an idea of whats likely to come up... Someone once told me they only change 10% of the questions in each exam every month - if true, you've already done 90% of the Q's you're going to face. Use that to focus in the right areas.

Best of luck