PDA

View Full Version : EMS and NVGs

Avnx EO
19th Sep 2002, 18:32
I'm aware of NVG use in the military and for Police, etc.

But is there anyone out there using NVGs for EMS work?
If so, how are they being used (ie: to check out off-heliport landing sites??) I thought pretty much everyone had people out there to set up the site prior to the EMS helicopter being sent.

Big Beres
20th Sep 2002, 07:28
There's an EMS operator in Hawks Bay (New Zealand) that have NVG's. As I understand the pilot uses the Mark 1 Eye Ball while the crewman uses the NVG's.

We have NVG's with our EMS operation but we're not aloud to use them even though the Base Manager has 600hrs on NVG's ......just like our $50,000 paper weight( winch ) which we also aren't aloud to use.........long live the 'Long Line'....not...

John Bicker
20th Sep 2002, 14:23
REGA in Switzerland use them. I think the Australian Air Force SAR contractor does as well CHC (Aus?).

There would appear to be a problem with legalities though under civilian operations as opposed to "quasi" government. This is the stumbling part.

GLSNightPilot
21st Sep 2002, 06:09
There's an operator, I think on the east coast of the US, North Carolina IIRC, that has been certified to use them. Can't recall the name of the company. It takes lots of certification tests, & lots of recurrent training. It seems to be a rather expensive undertaking.

Slickdriver
21st Sep 2002, 14:53
Unfortunately there are no civil users of NVGs in Australia. A few organisations have tried to gain approval from the regulatory bodies for use of NVGs but to no avail, which is a shame. Sure, they aren't the perfect solution to night flying, but they're the next best thing (Just ask any Army aviator).

Letsby Avenue
21st Sep 2002, 18:40
Hot off the press!! The (UK) CAA have performed an about turn and are positively enthusiastic about NVG with clearances soon to be granted for the pilot to ground level. Most Police operators are applying to the Home Office for funding as we speak. Hopefully this will include full cockpit lighting and Gen 3 Goggles.

The reason behind this U Turn is the CAA have realised they are a positive aid to flight safety:rolleyes:

zaplead
24th Sep 2002, 10:59
Will this apparent change in policy by the CAA alter the legal situation regarding HEMS aircraft operating at night also?
Be interested to know..................:rolleyes: