PDA

View Full Version : RAF selection

eagerbeaver
26th Sep 2001, 16:09
can anyone give me a brief run-down on the selection process for the RAF please

alexknill
26th Sep 2001, 19:21
Eagerbeaver

I went through selection last year and got in. However, I never took up the commission due to, let's say, personal reasons!!

Initially, you attend a screening interview with a Careers Liaison Officer - probably in the local Armed Forces Careers office. This is pretty easy, just get a bit of a working knowledge of some recent world and home affairs and try to see them from a military viewpoint.

Following successful recommendation to RAF Cranwell you attend for selection. It begins with about 6 hours of aptitude testing (computer based). After this (which happens before lunch! Oh yes!!) the first part of the medicals take place - nothing serious - just general tests and maybe a bit of a cough and a squeeze here and there.

In the morning, following a game of Jenga and a few cheap pints in the candidates mess (where the chairs are more comfy than the bed you get!)you either attend your interview or the second part of your medical - the candidates are split into groups.

The interview is pretty difficult and intense. This is where that working knowledge of current affairs comes in. Just a thought; a good source of information (except newspapers) is the NATO website (summat like www.nato.org). (http://www.nato.org).)
Also, know about your branch. So for Pilot/Nav (or Weapons Systems Officer as they are now known - guess technology reads the maps now!)know where you will train, what aircraft, how long, etc....... Another point is to know about yourself. It's amazing that they new where and when I went on holiday and I didn't!! They were right as well - must have put it on my form!!

If you pass all this stage one stuff, you will be told there and then (if they call your name after this bit is done, you're usually going home). If successful, you do the team exercises and stuff - obstacle courses and such like. This is fun, but make sure you get involved - when its your turn to lead - bloody lead!!! There are also some written scenarios for you to do as a team and individually. These should pose no problem using a bit of common sense and logic. Practice the ones they send you and make some more up to work out. Practice mental arithmetic too - saves loads of time in these bits.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck

jamesed
27th Sep 2001, 02:35
Hi Eager,
I've just been selected by OASC after a couple of attempts at the selection process. Here's just a few things that may help that are off the top of my head. Firstly do your home work! don't mean to sound patronising but get on the BBC news 24 web page and learn inside and out 6 topics both international and domestic, so that you can name names and form your own opinion. When asked a "when" question always answer with a month and year. Practice your basic mental arithmatic untill your quite quick, even the very basics. Show the interview board that you have a sense of adventure, that you are independant, perhaps some charity work, and a genuine interest in the forces. Have an idea of the down sides of military life not just the rosey side. If you get through to part two, thats the hangar tests, then keep calm in all the tasks, be yourself and enjoy, the tests are quite a good laugh, try not to work against your team, team work is a big tick. Finally make sure you are reasonablly fit, you carry out a bleep test.
Sorry if all that was a bit mixed up but if you want any more help email me. finally good luck :eek:

Wee Weasley Welshman
27th Sep 2001, 18:15
Can someone add more to this thread please - if we can build it up a bit it will make an excellent addition to the Wannabes Archive.

I would do it but its over 5 years since I least went through OASC so I am out of touch.

Cheers,

Tonkenna
28th Sep 2001, 21:05
eager,

You don't say how old you are. If you are going to go to Uni why not join a UAS. A very hi number of RAF pilots get selected that way.

The UASs are recruiting at the moment, though you will have to be quick as most of the freshers fairs are now over. The procedure is as follows:

Turn up to the freshers fair and find the UAS stand. Not always that easy as we are often stuck out of the way, however there are usually a few chaps in flying suits to guide you there.

When you find the stand you will then have to fill in a form. It is in two parts, the first checking whether you are eligable to join (ie age, nationality etc) and whether you have any obvious medical problems that would stop you passing the medical.

Assuming that is all fine the second part of the form is all about you. It includes details of your course, your hobbies and achievements, qualifications etc. Its quite along form but well worth putting in as much as possible.

Once that has been filled in you will have a quick chat with one of the QFIs from the Sqn. It will take about 10 mins and is not to daunting.

After the fair the staff will go through all the applicants and offer a second interview to those they beleive to be suitable. The second interview will last about 30-40 mins and will cover things that you have done as well as current affairs and the RAF.

Assuming you get selected after that you will have to attend a medical at RAF Cranwell. Once through that you will hopefully be offered a place on the Sqn.

Hope that is of help

Tonks :)

Biz
30th Sep 2001, 14:49
Had my shot in March last year. Unfortunately, it was my first and only attempt since I was 23 and considered too old to re-apply! Anyway, my point is don't get disheartened if you're rejected first, second , third or fourth time! From what I understand, they really only take people who perservere and bounce back after rejection, time after time again! 'tis true!
Anyway, I'm off to try my luck at Sandhurst now 'cos they like us 'oldies' there (you're not too old until you've reached 26!) :) :p

Good luck!

Biz
30th Sep 2001, 14:59
Knew there was something else I wanted to add!
With regard to your current affairs topics, don't make them too current!!! I know that seems to go aginst the grain, but everybody will be talking about the WTC disaster, the up-coming conflict, etc. Look backwards, and gain some knowledge of events up to 18months ago. By all means mention these contemporary events, but having a knowledge of other events makes you stand out from all the others and shows you retain knowledge from a period ago.
For starters, why not gen-up on the current status of the Sri-Lanken conflict involving the Tamil Tigers? The unrest in several African states? Kashmir? Events like these which have left the public gaze but are still very much current.

HalesAndPace
3rd Oct 2001, 22:57
Be yourself!! Artificial characterisations, etc, are very quickly seen through.

eagerbeaver
4th Oct 2001, 14:14
tokenna i am 21 with an atpl and i chose to avoid Uni, kinda cheesed off i did coz it looked like there was a lot of opportunities there - UAS, loads of crumpet and tasty tuck. Still i am going to arrange the initial presentation with the careers officer today.

Anybody- The advice so far has been superb i really appreciate it - can u enlighten more on the hanger excercises please