PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly

dannyweaver
19th Sep 2002, 13:52
Hi!

I've recently been doing some research on flying schools at which to do ATPL training all over the world, but concentrating mainly on Australia and the USA. Yesterday, I recieved a brochure from 'Airman' flying school in Oaklahoma and was impressed by their all inclusive pricing scheme wher you pay a set fee, no matter how many extra hours of training you require, or how many times you need to retake tests.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has, or is, training with them, in order to find out about the quality of training provided, their facilities and so on. I was also a bit surprised to read that their course takes just six months- in this country, under JAA, it usually takes a year or more at the very least, if you do an integrated course. Surely it must be a struggle fitting everything in?

Also, what is the surrounding area like in terms of things to do, etc.?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

weasil
19th Sep 2002, 17:34
Hi,
I have no direct knowledge of the school you are talking about but I just wanted to offer my two cents worth.

When you are choosing a flight school beware that everyone makes wild promises about the cost and time of training. In my experience there is often not much truth to any of these statements. Your training can be done in a short amount of time no matter where you go ... it all depends on you.. it can also take quite a long time.. also depending on you.

One thing you will find is that every flight school is going to have problems with aircraft being down for maintenance, wx delays etc... so a good thing to check is the number of aircraft compared to the number of students/instructors. One of the pilots I worked with did his training at this school in Oklahoma and I will ask him how he liked it ifyou want to email me privately.

I also hold an AUstralian PPL and can assure you that the CASA system is NOTHING like the FAA system. So keep that in mind also.

Weasil

FWA NATCA
20th Sep 2002, 23:02
As Weasel stated before you commit yourself make sure you throughly check out the flight school. You can even check the Better Business Bureau web site for possible negative reports about the school.

As for the Oklahoma area depending on how active you are there are a lot of things to do, from rock climbing, hiking, professional sports, and sight seeing excursions. As for weather it is hot and humid in the summer, cool to warm in the fall, winter, spring. The FAA Academy is located in Oklahoma City, as well as the FAA Aeromedical Center.

Mike

AA SLF
21st Sep 2002, 05:07
Danny -

FWA paints a very nice picture of Oklahoma - in general - and of Norman where the school is located.

Since I live just down the road a ways I have had ocasion to spend some time in the central Oklahoma area and will offer a different perspective on the attractions.

First - you will definitly need motorized transportation such as a car or motorcycle. This area is NOT a "walking" area to live in.

Second - there is a very popular - and well attended "aero" club in the area, so there will be others with the same interests as yours.

now for the "bad" parts: activities to participate in - -

watching for tornados
watching for hail storms with hail size of oranges (true)
washing the red clay dirt off of your vehical every 3 days
watching for tornados
watching people wreck their vehicals when it snows

other than that it is a nice redneck sort of place.