PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight and CASA

PLovett
19th Sep 2002, 04:29
A question for all those knowledgeable types out there.

Several years ago, I met a student pilot who had some trouble getting her student licence because CASA was questioning the laser surgery she had undergone to correct defective vision.

I understand that in the end they approved a Class 2 medical but would not approve a Class 1. I believe (but may be totally wrong) that the reason was to do with possible problems in a decompression situation.

Is this still the case? If so, what is the actual reason for their refusal?

I raise the question because I noted on another forum site, that the RAF may be about to commence its own corrective surgery unit for aircrew who no longer meet the standard, or applicants who would otherwise meet the requirements for entry.

Airframe Driver
23rd Sep 2002, 01:05
I consulted CASA before I had my LASIK done, then went ahead and had it done. Then back at work after 5 days (ATC TWR duties).

I have held and exercised ATC license, and now ATPL.

No endorsements (restrictions) on the licences either.

Incidentlally, the surgery was conducted by a doc whose son is a QF F/O.

Torres
25th Sep 2002, 22:50
PLovett. G'Day Mate! :cool:

One wonders how an organisation so one eyed and blind could possibly judge eye sight factors in commercial pilots?:D :D

PLovett
25th Sep 2002, 22:59
Torres

Its well known that the sun is so strong where you are that you have to close one eye to cut down the glare.:cool: :cool:

Hope you get some rain soon.:D :D

Incidentally, I had an interesting reply from Peter Wilkins on the subject:

Quote:

Thanks for your query. CASA has now certificated / recertificated a number
of applicants who have undergone these procedures. However, you should be
aware that the outcome of surgery is not universally good and there is a
possibility that some applicants may no longer satisfy the required visual
standard after surgery.

CASA intends to update its ophthalmology advice to DAMEs and applicants
within the next year - the reason it has not done so until now is the
rapidly changing technology: today's advice may be out of date next month.
However, some relevant general considerations are available on CASA's
webpage - see www.casa.gov.au then --> aviation medicals --> advice for
DAMEs --> DAME Handbook --> ophthalmology, particularly 2.1.4.

You may also care to discuss the issue with your DAME or GP before making a
final decision.

End Quote

Hope this is of some use to anyone else out there thinking of having the procedure done. :)

Airframe Driver
26th Sep 2002, 00:47
Just read the CASA website re Optics.

RK has not been done for ages. It was "discovered" after a Russian schoolkid fell off his bike, broke his glasses, the glass cut his eye up a bit, but as it healed, his eyesight got better.(due to the tightening of the eye surface as the scars healed thus changing the refraction from the cornea)

LASIK is the laser stuff. It is improving all the time. It's like computer technology. Remember a 386 was ants pants once upon a time.

When I approached CASA before my surgery, they had no idea of LASIK, and how it would affect my licence. One of their dinosaurs gave me a lecture (I'm sure he was ex FOI) for 20 minutes why not to get it done. I then asked him if this was his personal or professional opinion. He responded that it was his personal opinion. I asked for his professional opinion (being a doctor that he is) and he said he knew nothing of the subject.(Surprise surprise).

I then asked to speak with the Director of Av Medicine. They would not transfer me through because "he would know nothing of that subject either".

Anyway, I had it done and regained my licence in 6 or so days, I walked home from the surgery (2 miles), driving a car the next day, and perfect vision very soon after that.

Best thing would be to talk to Dr Siebert at LASIK in Rose Park Adelaide (I'll post his ph # is you need it). He is/was opthalmic DAME once upon a time.