PDA

View Full Version : Air Law Study methods

avrodamo
18th Sep 2002, 22:31
Im just doing my Mod 2 with BGS. Passed my Mod 1 exams first time, with my preferred study method. I usually make bullet points from the main notes and then re-read and progress tests etc. Making bullet points from Air Law just ends up in me typing the whole of the notes out again, which obviously doesn't help and wastes time.
Has anyone get any good study methods they used for Air Law, that even eased this nightmare of a subject even a little bit.
Any advice greatly recieved
:confused:

Gin Slinger
18th Sep 2002, 23:06
I've finished studying the BGS Air Law notes, but not undertaken the brush up or exams yet, so what I'm about to say may be wide of the mark, so beware!

If you return your progress tests via email, the MS Word docs they send back containing the correct answers seem to sum most things up nicely.

I've got wads of feedback questions from a mate who studied at LGU, and after reviewing these, the Word docs seem fairly comprehensive.

I'm up at Bristol next week, with the exams to follow straight afterwards, so we'll find out just how successful this strategy actually is quite soon!

Crosswind Limits
18th Sep 2002, 23:11
Air Law has to be one of the easier exams. All you need is lots of current feedback and a good memory. Your system seems a good one and I am sure you won't have any problems!:)

FlyingForFun
19th Sep 2002, 08:13
All you need is... a good memory
I have to admit that Air Law is the exam I'm dreading the most, with Operation Procedures coming a close second, because I don't have a good memory!

I had no problem at all with General Navigation or Flight Planning, which were the ones which seemed to cause most BGS Module 1 people problems. I'm very good at understanding concepts and ideas. But I'm no good at all at learning facts, or remembering questions from feedback! I'd like to hear from anyone with similar memory problems who's done Air Law - how did you manage it? Is there any way apart from learning the feedback questions?

I've recently started Module 2, and just done the first frame of Air Law, and I have to admit I didn't find it as hard as I thought it might be, because so much of it is just common sense. I had to learn the names of the various conventions, and the 5 rights - but the actual laws themselves were all pretty obvious. But that is only the first frame (out of 5, I think), and I suspect it's going to get harder!

FFF
----------

tacpot
19th Sep 2002, 13:25
Not sure if this will help but...

For information you really do want to remember for ever, try to put each bit of information in context. Visualise yourself using the information in the air. Use all the memory tricks you can find to keep the information distinctive and visual.

For information which you just can't visualise EVER needing in the air (e.g. bits of the ICAO convention!), try planning a presentation on the material to a third-party (another CPL'er). Ideally, you would actually give the presentation, and also answer questions on the material at the end. Make yourself an expert in the material for just long enough to pass the exam. Then forget it. Chances are you won't, and who knows, the £1M question on Who Wants to be a Million might just relate to the Chicago Convention:) )

Best wishes

Lawyerboy
19th Sep 2002, 17:18
This worked when I was studying law at university, so it might help...

I would write out notes based on what I'd been told at lectures and what I'd read in the books. I'd then condense the notes once, then again, and then again, until I had only a couple of pages of bullet points. In condensing the notes I'd be committing a vast amount of information to memory, and using key phrases - the bullet points - to trigger the relevant bits of information.

By the end of it I'd be able to sit in the exam hall, close my eyes, and visualise the page of notes in my head, and see the various bullet points, and that would be enough to remind me about the cases, or the methodology, or whatever.

It does work, trust me.

laurie
19th Sep 2002, 21:48
Hello Avro,

If you have access to a decent library, a few hours to spare, try and read "Use your head" and "Use your memory" both available through BBC books, written by Tony Buzan.

They might help you in a general way; reading the above excellent advice reminded me of having come across the same within those books.

There is a lot of seemingly useless material about how to memorise pointless random sequences, but when you come to think of it.....some people would liken parts of the ATPL syllabus to..memorising a pack of ca..(better shut up before I get flamed).

What I mean is there are some good tricks if you take what you personally feel would be useful.

Best of luck,

Laurie

Gassbag
19th Sep 2002, 23:47
I went through all the Feedback turning each question and answer into a statement. I then have a list of key facts. I read this a few times and then attempted the feedback marking the questions I had right in one coulour hi-light and wrong in another. I read through the wrong ones a few times and with a week to go read through my key facts and all the feedback. This was the best way for me but you have to find a method that works for yourself.
Good Luck

GonvilleBromhead
20th Sep 2002, 07:20
FFF,

Really, don't worry too much about Air Law or Op Procs, before I went to Bristol for the mod 2 brushup I too wrote a post on here asking about these 2 subjects, quite concerned about them.

They really are not too bad, yes they do rely on memory but also the BGS feedback for these two subjects really is spot on, if need be familiarise yourself with it as much as possible and honestly, you won't go far wrong.

And as to the content, it really doesn't get any harder than the first frame, stick in there, you'll be fine.

And just to add, got my results today for mod 2 and passed all. :D :D

It's a lovely feeling so stick in there with Air Law et al, it's a drag but blimey it's worth it !

:)

FlyingForFun
20th Sep 2002, 07:57
Thanks everyone - please keep the ideas coming! I think I'm going to print this thread out and put it in my Air Law file. Then, once the exams start getting closer, I'll try each of the methods and hopefully find one which works!

Congrats, Gonville! I know what you mean about a lovely feeling - I remember when I got my results for Module 1, I looked at the mark I got for Met, my worst Mod 1 subject, and then I had to look at the name at the top of the page to check it was actually my results I was looking at! A feeling which I'll remember for a long time, but I bet Mod 2 is even better. Must be up there with 1st solo.....

FFF
----------------

GonvilleBromhead
20th Sep 2002, 08:19
Thanks FFF, yes I must admit, it's up there with it.

Good luck with mod 2, and always remember that BGS brushups really will "pull it all together".

All the best,

GB.
:)

avrodamo
20th Sep 2002, 09:02
Thanks guys. Yeah some good ideas in there. Nice to know as well that it's not just me feeling like this, and evryone else is the same. ;)

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
20th Sep 2002, 13:11
I did my Air Law under the old national system, but it was my most feared subject. I found that because you could work out or visualise most other subjects that law was a big, dry memory test. I managed to pass first time (just!) by going over and over the sample papers as most of the questions were very similar to the test, both in terms of topics and layout. Hope this helps, and good luck!

vicarofdibley
20th Sep 2002, 19:51
Do the Bristol progress tests by referring back to the notes. The Bristol refresher for Air Law is feedback...worked for me.

Ops Procedures should be renamed anti/deicing and fire extinguishers. Learn numbers and it is easy