PDA

View Full Version : CPL Tips

boeingbus2002
18th Sep 2002, 22:24
Just seen the post for tips for IR tests/training.
Anyone got anything useful for the CPL?
(Both to make the most of training and for tests)
ta!

MJR
19th Sep 2002, 09:57
Relax and try and enjoy your training and your test. No one can fly a perfect test apart from perhaps Douglas Bader and Chuck Yeager. What is on test is your attitude which you can convey very effectively in the first 5 minutes as you taxi and carry out your checks. Treat your instructor like a member of joe public i.e. dont assume he can do his belt seat or close the door.

The test is a long test and most mortals feel tired towards the end so as you progress through each section keep trying to pick yourself up. Dont dwell on any dodgy flying just concentrate harder on the next bit.

good luck

MJR

Capt Wannabe
19th Sep 2002, 17:54
A coule of things I was told before the CPL and IR exams are :

1. When you walk out to the a/c you have already passed the test. It is only if you do something stupid or incorrect that you will subsequently fail.

2. As long as you are still in control of the a/c during the flight then you have at least obtained a partial pass.

:D

19th Sep 2002, 19:28
I found the CPL Skills test enjoyable - the course on the other hand was not quite so.

Instructors are (like examiners) all human. Don't give your instructor the 'silent treatment' - patter your way thru the course and then at least your instructor will get a better idea of what your doing, or trying to do! Then, they can immediately pick-up on errors, or maybe show you a better way of doing it. I think so many hrs are wasted by students not giving OUT feedback to help their instructor help them......

This goes for the exam as well. Definitely give him the Joe Bloggs treatment as mentioned prev. The CPL test is widely underestimated when compared to the IR, but I think they're just as hard as each other. The examiner is looking for professionalism and an overall confident approach to the flight.

Learn your checklists, and remember that having the 170A slip is your instructor saying to you....'You can/should/will pass this!!'.

Enjoy it and good luck.

vicarofdibley
20th Sep 2002, 19:59
If you have an IMC then do it in a twin. Gives you a better start for your IR

foghorn
21st Sep 2002, 09:33
Get to know the local area landmarks as well as possible. Even if you take a single up PIC for familiarisation. The school will know what the likely routes are from feedback from past candidates.

So many people partial when the screens come down after IMC leg to find that they are 'temporarily unsure of position' (me included!). It's so much easier if you know the features to look for.

cheers!
foggy.