View Full Version : How long until I get to fly the world???

Cam Alder
20th Jun 2001, 18:45
Hey all!
I have only recently commenced my training, and thus sitting my PPL theory in a few days.
But what I would like to know is that how long does it take to build up 500 multi hours and how can you do it. Also 1000twin hrs.

I mean it sounds great being quoted all these hours to get into airlines, but it doesnt mean much to me.

Based on a full time student/instructor, how long will it be.
One more thing, What age is the desired pilots' age for the airlines?

Thanks a lot!!

Cheers
Cam

boxjockey99
20th Jun 2001, 21:31
I'm just about through my professional training (final few weeks of Multi IR) and am also sponsored by an airline so here's my experience:

PPL + Night + IMC + 100hrs P1 rating took me about 1year although I spread it over a 4 year period while I was at university. Once through all the basic stuff and proudly waving your dysentry beige coloured PPL you need to get your ATPL exams. FOr guidance I did the JAR course at PPSC which took me from July 2000 till April 01 to get all 14 of the bastard exams that JAR insist you sit. That is the killer as you don't get to play with aircraft until you're through all the exams. If you have the time / money then do take the full time course at a REPUTABLE school.

SO now you have your ATPL exams passed you need to get your CPL and IR done. bank on 4-6 weeks for the CPL (25HRS with 7 in a complex single minimum). The IR takes longer so bet on 6 - 8 weeks but weather isn't as critical here (IR=20Hrs SIM and 35 in a twin). Once that's all passed and you are about 25-30K worse off you need an MCC course in order to get a multi-crew job. So really you're looking at about 200-250 Hrs on completion of training.

My company flies it's crews about 350hrs a year but we do short sectors at unsociable times so it's the FLight duty period that gets us on that. SO all told I'm looking at about 4 years before I get my hands on the ATPL Holy Grail.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions just e-mail me at [email protected]

tornado1
21st Jun 2001, 00:42
Can anyone tell me how many hrs before a frozen ATPL becomes a full ATPL and could you fly pleasure flights in the time leading up to the full ATPL for reward and hrs building, as this is what I would like to do, e.g. island hopping and sight seeing in the med for tourists, build up the hours and then apply to the airlines when I have enough hours built up. Seams like a really nice way to build hours and make a living until I’m ready for the airlines. Is this possible for me to do this?

Delta Wun-Wun
21st Jun 2001, 03:05
I believe but may be wrong(then if someone knows please correct me)that to unfreeze your ATPL you need 1500 hrs.100 of which must be night and under JAR 500 must be a multi crew aircraft.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

clear prop!!!
21st Jun 2001, 22:05
Boxjocky

You are sponsored by an Airline, but have clearly gone through the modular route.
Were you sponsored from the beginning of your training?

It does not sound as if you are with the usual sponsors who use modular via Cabair or Atlantic.

Were you sponsored for your full course or did you pick it up part way through?

Reason for asking is that I would like to find a sponsor who will take you on with a CPL and FI and sponsor the IR and type rating bit at some stage.

ta

boxjockey99
25th Jun 2001, 22:44
I was sponsored from the commencement of my PROFESSIONAL training. I joined with PPL/IMC/NIGHT +180 Hrs (100+ P1). The company put in a fixed contribution towards the training and I pay the rest. They do Stipulate however, where I had to train ie PPSC then Professional Air Training for CPL/IR.

I am on the JAR system so have to do the fully approved - horribly expensive - course for the CPL and IR.

I was due to start my type rating in July but have been put on hold until recruiting commences (no dates given) DOH!!

Also the ATPL comes active at 1500Hrs 100Hrs Night and 500Hrs Multi Crew as suggested in a previous post.