PDA

View Full Version : (other people's) private landing sites

StevieTerrier
18th Sep 2002, 20:12
In the UK we can land our helis more or less where we want (Rule 5 etc notwithstanding) "provided we have the landowners permission".

I can hold my hand up to having landed in the wrong place on several occasions, but the residents found it amusing to have a heli suddenly appear in their field / garden whatever. No harm done, they pointed me in the right direction and off I went.

What would happen, however, if they took umbrage and made a complaint? Is the pilot breaking any "CAA-related" laws, or would we be talking trespass or something similar?

In fact is the "landowners permission" written down in any aviation regulations, or is it just something that has been passed on from generation to generation?

misterbonkers
18th Sep 2002, 22:29
it's kind of like driving your car unannounced onto someone else property, just that usually folk tend to be more aggrevated by a helicopter due to the profile of the things.

Technically you are liable for any damage to property you may cause.

They can also kick up a fuss if they considered what you did dangerous, then it is up to the Cash And Agro to prosicute if they have a case to prove.

The landowners permission is really to try and make sure there are no hassles when you land, then in the event of a mis-hap, you had permission to be there, which will support any case you have.

Remember, a polite apologetic pilot will get further than rude objective one!

headsethair
19th Sep 2002, 19:44
Well - you could claim "right to roam" ;) Technically, if you land on their concrete you are landing on their "property" - but if you land in a grass field you are landing on a freehold/leasehold piece of land. There is no law of trespass in the UK. Under some strange 18th century law the landowner can ask you to leave the piece of land and if you refuse 3 times he/she can call the police who can then make life unpleasant for you.

However, don't forget the CAA who will react to complaints of "trespass" and use very expensive lawyers........