View Full Version : BALPA - Whats the script?

tunneler
20th Jun 2001, 16:21
Seeing as how I'm about to start my 509 course I was wondering if joining BALPA is a good idea or not? I've had a look at their website and saw the thing about the Trainee Associate membership.....

Any comments?

Cheers

Tunny

Flypuppy
20th Jun 2001, 18:23
Brian,

I sent Chris Darke an e-mail weeks ago about the same subject, but still waiting for a reply...

sickBocks
20th Jun 2001, 19:13
It's worth doing - after all it is free. You don't pay them until you get your first flying job (if you want to join then.)

You get the magazine every month which gives you a vague insight as to what's going on within companies. You also get the opportunity to join Best Aircrew who are a BALPA owned/affiliated pilot employment agency who tend to know who's going to recruit and when.

Hey if you don't try it you won't know that you love it.

T - sorry BA didn't work out but glad to see that you're carrying on... well worth it, it's good to be on the conveyor belt.

skysoarer
20th Jun 2001, 19:27
I emailed them a few weeks back and was informed that as long as you were undergoing training (or had proof that you were due to commence it) you qualified for a free membership as a Trainee Associate.

Hope this helps; its certainly worth doing as you become a member anyway when you start working for an airline as a pilot.

Regards

SS

RVR800
21st Jun 2001, 12:25
Join

Super Stall
21st Jun 2001, 15:31
Best to join - If you dont the next man will, and then when you finish your course (and it does come round very quickly), he just may get some info on who is about to hire a week or two before you do, and that may make all the difference.

Join the IPA as well, reduced rate (about £40), but their info I found invaluable.

ss

tailscrape
22nd Jun 2001, 03:00
Hi all.

A quickie. I am ex OATS and have luckily found a very good job flying a big aeroplane as my first job. I joined BALPA before going to OATS because:

1) Monthly LOG and Airwaves newsletters

2) Professional Union...which I happen to believe is invaluable. Just in case you have a prang.

3) An excellent Job seekers conference evry Autumn.

They are not in the business of finding you a job. They are our (Flightcrew) Union, but they do have good resources and interesting rags to read each month.

Worth joining if you believe in Union mentality...not worth it if you don't intend to believe in what they try and do as an organisation.

Good luck all.

p.s. I doubt Chris Darke will reply to your e mails. He is the Boss of BALPA. A bit like writing to Rod Eddington for a BA cadet job.

Flypuppy
22nd Jun 2001, 11:32
Tailscrape,

Chris Darke has replied to my e-mail. I will be recieving a letter by post.

martinf
22nd Jun 2001, 13:20
E-mail address is www.balpa.co.uk (http://www.balpa.co.uk) ?????

Or is it www.balpa.org (http://www.balpa.org) ???

What constitutes proof of commercial training?

What are the up sides to a union - and I am asking this as somebody looking for work but also once you have a job?

Delta Wun-Wun
22nd Jun 2001, 13:28
I e-mailed Balpa yesterday asking about membership and stated I was doing Distance Learning with Bristol and the rough time frame I had for finishing everything.They replied saying that they would pass it on to the relavent dept. to see whether I was eligable for student membership.I receieved an e-mail less than an hour later inviting me to join...as simple as that.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

martinf
22nd Jun 2001, 15:03
I guess it is the latter although my work won't like me downloading the shockwave stuff. Delta Wun Wun can you provide me with the e-mail address?

Cheers

------------------
You can't have everything........Where would you put it?

DeltaT
24th Jun 2001, 16:47
not too sure about this 'free' membership while training, they still charged me £2 a month. I think this is supposed to cover the magazine.

[This message has been edited by DeltaT (edited 24 June 2001).]

Delta Wun-Wun
25th Jun 2001, 02:29
Martinf,
Sorry for the delay.....Been working....Try www.balpa.org (http://www.balpa.org) and then click the contact icon and send them an e-mail.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!