PDA

View Full Version : Career options for 41 year old PPL

baldwinm
18th Sep 2002, 12:16
O.k. I've finally got a bit of cash and fancy a career change.

Is there any chance of getting a flying job in Aviation at this late stage? I could my fund own modular CPL/IR, AFI etc. I could possibly reduce my current job hours and work part time ion aviation, if this is possible.

I'm not interested in making a mint, just making a living, doing something I love.

Any suggestions. Be honest - if I'm wasting my time I'll keep flying as a hobby.

Baldwinm

batty
18th Sep 2002, 12:24
Sorry to burst the bubble mate but I think you are probably waisting your time. There are a FEW pilots who manage to start off at your age and get jobs but only a few, and thats when times were better.

I started at 33 and was one of the few lucky ones at my age, I know alot of younger qualified guys who are still looking for jobs 2 years after graduating. Remember it will take you 18-24 months to complete all the training that puts you 43-44, you would be very lucky at that stage to get a starter job.

Sorry if it sounds harsh but you have to go in with your eyes open.

Good luck whatever way you go

gdnhalley
18th Sep 2002, 22:26
I hope you are not to old for a job.
I am a 44 year old PPL awaiting results of module 1 ATPL exams. I was unable to get a class one medical until the eyesight standards changed this year.
Obviously I will not be giving up my job as my prospects must be much lower than a 30 year old, but I am an optimist and intend to have an (f)ATPL before I am 45.
Everything depends on how much you want it and what risks you are willing to take.

RVR800
19th Sep 2002, 08:10
I'm with Batty on this its a BIG RISK if you proceed

There are so many younger pilots available

I know many middle aged wannabes who are still looking
They are ATPL FI MEI etc many 1000s hrs.

Its tough out there. I knew one guy who got his first airline position at 53 but this is very very rare he had 7000 hrs
and was a 509 instructor lot of multi time

Sad to say there are many people with Airline-tpls that dont do airliners due surplus of supply over demand. Added to that the airlines seem to prefer integrated-sponsored not modular-self selected applicants.

If you have loads of TIME and MONEY spare go ahead
Personally I would now elect to spend the cash on a part
share in an aeroplane instead

baldwinm
19th Sep 2002, 09:16
Thanks for your advice, folks.

I must admit that eyesight has been a factor too. I'm on the margin of the new initial standards - I sent my prescription to the CAA and they said I should come down for the Medical. It could all get scuppered then though.

I don't view it as a big risk as if it doesn't go anywhere I'll still have my current job and will have spent a lot of money flying, which is what will happen anyway even if it's just a hobby - and it's easier to justify the expenditure to the wife this way!. The fact that it has worked for somebody gives me an incentive to proceed.

I certainly wouldn't imagine ever competing for jobs with the big
boys.

If it does all go pearshaped an aircraft share and perhaps an IR is probably something I'd like to do.

Good luck to gdnhalley

Thanks again

baldwinm

RichT
20th Sep 2002, 10:23
Got my first job at the age of 41 flying a 737. It can be done I only
had 900 hours

ravenx
20th Sep 2002, 11:29
This is the question I asked because (hopefully) when I finish I'll be 40. I think it depends on the individual and how determined you are. For all the talk of "I've been waiting for ages" (and this is not directed at anyone on this site before I get loads of snotty replies) there are loads of people around who have sent their CV off once and just sit and wait - the same as in any industry.

If you want some indication of the sort of things you have to do read the "what first jobs" thread in this forum. There are people out there who have demonstrated their willingness to do anything to get into a job and I think this speaks volumes.

There are also loads of "un-employable" people. I've interviewed several times (within the IT world) people who's CV are fantastic but I simply wouldn't employ them because of attitude etc. I'm sure a lot of this goes on.

I would have thought airlines will employ older people because of their experience in life and their maturity. After all 60 is the retirement age (I know some send them out to grass at age 55) so you still have nearly 20 years left - how long do they want.

It's not as if they have to pay you any more because you are older.

batty
22nd Sep 2002, 13:24
Quick point:- 65 is retirement in the UK you can fly over 60 as long as you have another pilot under the age of 60 with you. So it gives you another 5 years!!!

whisperbrick
22nd Sep 2002, 13:48
its always a gamble when you embark upon a career change:
i have worked with F/Os who were 42 and 47 and we had a captain who only started flying at forty, so it is possible.

But be realistic:you would suit a smaller operator who has trouble retaining the younger guys who go off to the big jets, and wants someone who will stay:aim for that.

I would forget the biggies (e.g monarch/brittania)as with the time to command you would do well to get a command before retirement !

B412
22nd Sep 2002, 17:16
As stated above it is a gamble with any career change. But going for something, even investing in real estate, marriage, starting a business or buying shares is too. Many things are. So this is no different.
Experience counts as does supply and demand. But what have you got to lose? Money simple.... but does that really matter in the big scheme of things? Being happy with what you are doing at the time keeps you and the family happy.
There are many opportunities in aviation, you just try for them all and eventually a niche that is right for you will come along. Times are crap for employment right now, but employment situations swing both ways.
If you want to throw your hat in the ring then do it. It will be after all, your attitude and ability, and not your age that will get you a job. Good luck. (41 isn't old!.... I'm 41!)

Hufty
23rd Sep 2002, 11:55
Instucting?

If you have your 150, hours you could do the (cheaper) CPL exams, get a cheapie CPL in the US and then and FI(R) rating over here.....

You would then still be involved in aviation, but would be getting your fix at somebody else's expense..

baldwinm
23rd Sep 2002, 12:40
Yes, instructing may well be an option.

Here's hoping my class 1 medical goes o.k. next week. When I first started many moons ago you didn't need a CPL to earn money instructing and I think you only needed a class II medical (and a class III for a PPL).

There is a possibility I could reduce my hours with my current employer i.e. work 3 days a week doing well paid job, two days a week instructing - I'm not doing it for nowt though!

James Telfer
23rd Sep 2002, 13:44
I'm a little younger than baldwinm (32) but also looking at a career change. Is Oxford the only viable option over here? Are there any alternative flying schools?

GonvilleBromhead
23rd Sep 2002, 13:56
There are quite a few other schools James, Oxford is not the only one. It also depends on how you want to complete your training, via the integrated or modular route.

You can choose Oxford for either route, but then you can choose a myriad of other establishments too. Shop around, look into other schools, visit them aand speak to them and their students. Don't just look at their brochures or just talk to a schools marketing boys either for obvious reasons.

How important is location to you ? Price ? Modular or Integrated ?

There are a hell of a lot of factors to take into account when it comes to choosing a training establishment, but the short answer is no, Oxford are not the only ones around.