PDA

View Full Version : Curb On Casa

Dogimed
18th Sep 2002, 05:35
Latest headline from AOPA News website at www.aopa.com.au

A proposal to remove CASA's powers as "judge, jury and executioner" on pilot licences and aircraft operating certificates is expected to go to federal cabinet this year, a spokesman for transport minister John Anderson confirmed.
Anderson made the comments during a recent visit to Gippsland where he was attacked by local charter and maintenance operators on CASA's sweeping powers.
The move follows some recommendations from the review of CASA by chairman Ted Anson.

Thats not a light I see is it??......

Dog

marshall
18th Sep 2002, 08:03
Thats not a light I see is it??......

Nope thats just John Anderson's arse! :D :D :D

the wizard of auz
19th Sep 2002, 13:30
they aught to be sacked and burned and drowned and hit with big sticks and poked with hot pokers and all the other unpleasant things you can think of.
just a personal opinion...................who agree's though? I bet theres a few.:D :D

Time Bomb Ted
24th Sep 2002, 02:47
Wizard,

What are you trying to say?

Spit it out Son........

Torres
25th Sep 2002, 02:03
I too have heard this. Music to my ears!!! :D :D :D

Sadly, many operators now out of business were denied natural justice due to the rabid excesses of an incompetant regulator.

Does this mean the CASA white board of target operators will also be history?

Creampuff, don't bother to try to wind me up. I'm very relaxed these days. :)

Ultralights
25th Sep 2002, 09:55
I think Ill stick to being regulated by the AUF! at least they actually know what their talking about, and actually Fly planes as well!

Creampuff
25th Sep 2002, 10:17
I trust that all those who are jumping for joy at the prospect of CASA losing coercive regulatory powers are not so stupid as to assume that no one else is going to be given them in CASA's stead.

The new compliance authority will be much more efficient in dealing with those who can not or will not comply with the rules: that will be its only job.

the wizard of auz
25th Sep 2002, 15:44
Its gotta be better than what we have at the moment............doesnt seem to matter whether your right or wrong......your still wrong.:mad:

Torres
25th Sep 2002, 23:37
Yes Wiz. I could not agree more. I doubt the Government will make the same mistake twice and at least the creation of a compliance entity will be subject to public comment and input.

I'm sure a new compliance entity would have the power of review and any prosecutions undertaken will be in line with our democratic system of natural justice, rather than a direct import from the jackboot tactics of a third world dictatorship.

Creampuff, I don't think anyone in the aviation industry would object to fair justice being dispensed to those persons and operators who transgress the law.

ulm
28th Sep 2002, 07:07
Funny thing is, all the other AOPA news before this said that Chris Mckeown was negotiating it with the Minister.

Now that it is done it seems his name has been erased and we are all supposed the thank the two Godlike Q-Captains for their infinite wisdom and ability.

Bwahahahahahaha :D

LeadSled
11th Oct 2002, 14:13
Ulm,

Min tinkit you are a little confused, about who is where, and who is paying the rent. Given the amount of time and effort God 1 and God 2 have put in, trying to ensure that you can still commit aerial locomotion without a mandatory radio, you surprise me.

Torres and Creamie are on the right track, and are referring to what might or might not be in the Anson recommendations to the Minister, possibly separating the technical and licensing functions of CASA from the Compliance and Enforcement, or something similar. Who knows, so far the Anson Report is a well kept secret.

The Anson Report was delivered on schedule, we await the outcome with interest. The Minister's remarks in Gippsland were more recently repeated elsewhere, and reported in the Canberra Time.

The AOPA proposal to use the Federal Magistrates Court, developed by the aforementioned Chris McKeown, was a far more modest proposal, if you have read the AOPA Magazine. Effectively CASA would have had to have Court approval for any initial action against an operator etc.

It seems to have sunk like a stone, due to serious opposition from ( surprise, surprise) CASA.

Given what happened to the Maritime Safety Authority, after Ted and his mates operated on it, is there light at the end of the tunnel, or is that the Canberra Excess coming your way.

Tootle pip!!

Torres
12th Oct 2002, 12:22
LeadSled, my guess any proposal which may curtail the powers and nefarious activities, threaten the "propagation of the (legal) specie" or worse still, require real legal talent would surely be doomed to failure.

But we live in hope.........