PDA

View Full Version : Aust ATPL to JAR equivalent

Capt Snooze
18th Sep 2002, 04:21
Someone mentioned that some high-time heavy drivers (presumably ex AN) had recently gone through the process. There has been some very comprehensive information posted about the process for light drivers but none about people who qualify for the 'assessment for special terms' covered in coordination with 'JAR-FCL 680 pack'.

This is for people with 'A minimum of 3,000 hours as pilot of public transport aircraft over 30,000 kgs MTWA on scheduled international or similar routes, a minimum of 1,500 hours of which must have been as Pilot-in-Command'.

Does anyone know what the typical requirements are for this group of people?

redsnail
18th Sep 2002, 11:59
I believe they are accepting Australian domestic flights as being ok. ie Perth to Alice Springs would be an international flight in Europe. (Probably more challenging in some respects, ie Dp ops, Crit point, PNRs - oh sorry JAR speak now = PET point of equal time, PSR = Point of safe return)
The info is on the website CAA SRG (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=189) . There may be some interesting loop holes with it. ie some European JAR member states won't recognise the "Captain's conversion" but it shouldn't be a problem if you fly a G reg aircraft.
As far as I can see you just have to do Air Law and Human Performance theory wise and a check ride in a suitable sim for the flying component.

Just heard that a former AN captain on 146's and 737's just went through it. Medical, Air Law, HPL and a check ride was all he needed. FO's aren't so lucky :(

Capt Snooze
19th Sep 2002, 09:24
Thanks Redsnail, just the input I was after.

I'd looked at those docs. I had no problem qualifying for the assessment, but there was no indication as to what waivers were typically granted as a result.

This is what you were able to provide. Thanks...

(A case of know the answer before you ask the question, particularly in this case, where asking the question was going to be either inconvenient or expensive or both)

A further question / questions.
I get the impression that to sit the exams, you must be recommended by an approved school. i.e. complete a course with them. Is this the case?
And, in any case, any recommendations?

Again, many thanks...

Snooze
:) :)

Steep Pressure Gradient
19th Sep 2002, 09:41
Captn Snooze - you don't need do have completed an approved course just to sit the 2 x exams (as far as I am aware).

I would highly recommend Bristol Ground School for a distance learning package though (I'm sure redo would agree). They provide invaluable practice exams prior to the big day.

I sat the exams (unfortunately the whole lot) in August and there were quite a few 'older' Aussie accents amongst the crowd! Most of them had used Bristol's services.

redsnail
19th Sep 2002, 11:01
I'd agree. Don't muck around, go to Bristol. Checkboard is there now (well, next week) to do module 2. He reckons they have the best set of study notes he's ever seen. Send them an email or ring them, they are very helpful.
I didn't go there myself because I didn't do distance learning.
Alex Whittingham is great and is well used to the Aussie accent. :D

Capt Snooze
25th Sep 2002, 02:46
Thanks all!!!

Snooze

:) :)