View Full Version : Dispute ends as SIA pilots agree to compromise deal

aviator_38
18th Sep 2002, 00:33
Hi folks,

Received this in the mail.

Cheers

==========================
Dispute ends as SIA pilots agree to compromise deal

EGM sees nearly 70 per cent of pilots voting in favour of MOM-brokered deal over allocation of seats for their breaks
Singapore Straits Times
9/18/2002

THE dispute between Singapore Airlines and its pilots ended yesterday with close to seven in 10 pilots voting in favour of a compromise deal brokered by the Manpower Ministry.
It came after a tense three-hour debate at an extraordinary general meeting of the Air Line Pilots Association Singapore (Alpa-S) at the Pinetree Town & Country Club.
_
Said Captain Frank John, Alpa-S vice-president for industrial relations: 'It was very emotionally charged; a lot of people were upset about the company violating the collective agreement.'
About 200 pilots attended yesterday's meeting with another 700 or so proxy votes cast.

Although some pilots had earlier viewed the deal as a sell-out, the majority of the 910 votes cast were in favour of the compromise deal.

Captain John said that the 68-per-cent majority showed that the pilots still had confidence in the Alpa-S executive committee to help improve their working conditions.

He added: 'While it is difficult for the man in the street to understand, we had to take a difficult decision and we had to convince our members it was right.'

Under the compromise deal, one business-class seat will be set aside for pilots, and if they have to sit in economy, they will get a $200 cash compensation. Pilots will also be given priority to upgrade to business class, ahead of passengers and staff. If business class is full, they may occupy an empty first-class seat.
Yesterday's vote brings to an end a saga that began more than five months ago.

Pilots got upset after they were asked to take their meal and rest breaks in economy instead of business-class seats, as they have been doing for 13 years, because fewer business-class seats are now available, following the introduction of the bigger SpaceBeds.
Alpa-S threatened work-to-rule action that could cause costly delays and flight cancellations because it felt the airline's demands breached the collective agreement signed last year.

But the MOM stepped in and brokered a compromise deal last month.

Captain John said that while SIA's 1,600 pilots would not stand for another breach of the agreement, they were willing to move on from here, and try and forge better relations with SIA.
He added: 'The healing process needs to begin. Management and pilots must learn to trust each other again.'

0.88M
18th Sep 2002, 05:35
After so many months and this is all it boiled down to?

Total disappointment and disgust with the whole system.

All these poor jocks did was just prolonging the inevitable.

Sad to say "systems" are different in this island.

Jock in SIN should start thinking for themselves and reduce

support for the company..

thegypsy
18th Sep 2002, 06:32
Yet again the SIA Pilots {TURKEYS} have voted for Christmas

BlueEagle
18th Sep 2002, 10:45
theGypsy - and the realistic alternative would have been?

Balthazar
18th Sep 2002, 19:46
Fight the Singapore system as much as you like, but this was the only viable option.

Sure, everybody is unhappy, but what to do.

We are replacing our senior management with Air Force guy's. Just like Korean and China Airlines did. So sad, we really should be the best in the world. We certainly have the money, desire and capability.

Senso
20th Sep 2002, 03:39
Isn't it ironic... Gobble... Gobble... Gobble... Singapore and its island mentality.

I totally agree with a comment made about ex Air Fart's being given a hand at the helm. Yes, we are going to be like that nose picking CAL, its only a matter of time.

As far as this seat issue was concerned, they just had to wave a few extra dollars and everything was settled. Its sooo typical...

Senso
-----------------------------
777, way to fly and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

thegypsy
23rd Sep 2002, 01:21
Blue Eagle That is a difficult one to answer given the way the courts in SIA are Govt controlled but the troops should have shown their disgust at what Alpha-S said not me was a blatant breach of the CA.

It would appear that as the Captains have got their seat guaranteed then it seems to be a clear case of 'I'm alright Jack' If Pilots do not stick together on these kind of issues then what hope is there and all credibility is lost when money is accepted instead of the correct seat.

Alpha-S says it will not tolerate any further breaches of the CA. I just bet the Generals are trembling in their boots!!

IMHO they should have rejected this and persued the matter through the Courts cos I think the Generals were amazed at the storm they created and they don't like this kind of adverse publicity. This was a typical act of the new boys trying to stamp their military authority and show the Board they are in total control.

Meanwhile the CEO who lost SIA $2 Billion in his investments in Ansett/Air NZ and Virgin is still in his position as the Establishment in Singapore close ranks and protect eachother from close examination of their records.

DoMePlease
23rd Sep 2002, 15:22
I hate it when someone loses 2 billion.

thegypsy
24th Sep 2002, 04:55
Do me Please So do I especially when all the employees are made to pay for his Mistakes!!

DoMePlease
24th Sep 2002, 14:22
TheGypsy:

This may be a little off this topic but you seem to know a lot bout SIA. I have been asking around but no one seems to care. I am basically curios about what other pilots think of SIA. Is it a good airline to work with? Are the pilots paid well? Is morale up? Do other pilots wish they were with SQ? You get the picture I hope.

thegypsy
25th Sep 2002, 04:48
Do me Please SIA Pilots are not paid well when you consider the high cost of living in Singapore and when there is no Bonus then the Salary is a pittance but if you are from the Third World with a lousy currency then it is an easy job in lots of respects and if you have no overheads at your home where you come from then it is OK especially since 9/11 and demiseof Ansett . SIA always used to have problems getting Pilots cos their Management Style stinks but with opening of bases in London,LA.Sydney Perth Brisbane people can get based there and forget about the politics so there is no shortage of recruits.

SIA pilots are also the most productive around and on 747 all E/W flying with all that involves. No Pension but you wont probably live long anyway after a lifetime of timezone changes and large doses of Radiation!!

Those Pilots on the top Scales and in the CPF do OK but those in the PF are losing most of their money monthly due to lousy investment strategy. Those new Pilot joiners dont even get the PF scheme which was withdrawn recently but still SIA gets no trouble cos of the fact that there are just too many Pilots around looking for jobs.

gengis
25th Sep 2002, 07:37
DoMePlease

SIA is not - repeat IS NOT - a good airline to work for. As a matter of fact, i am in the process of getting out myself. Do yourself a favour and put SIA at the very bottom of your list.

DoMePlease
25th Sep 2002, 14:08
Gengis:
Perhaps you'd like to say more? Can you tell me why you feel the way you do? Is there a great exodus of pilots in SIA at the moment? Where do they usually go to? Thanks.

ClimbGodammitClimb
25th Sep 2002, 23:51
DoMePlease,

Most expats in Singapore are not in it for the $$. The $$ nothing to write home about, cost of living high. The main reason for staying in Singapore will probably be for the family (if you are planning to bring your lot with you). It's one of the safest cities in the world and the international schools are good. Driving conditions are good (be prepared to pay thru your nose and your excrement hole).