PDA

View Full Version : B777 A/Throttle

Trent_ 772B
17th Sep 2002, 17:57
Hi there! I would like to know if the a/throttle is used all the way down to touchdown when doing a manual landing on the B777? Thanks everybody!

17th Sep 2002, 18:55
No it isn't.

777AV8R
17th Sep 2002, 23:56
Normally....Yes it is.

Jet II
18th Sep 2002, 06:48
Well thats perfectly clear then!

:confused: :confused:

Tonic Please
18th Sep 2002, 09:20
Id go with 777AV8R by checking out the Captains profile. Also, whilst I am talking to a 777 Captain...I am led to believe that the 777 (or SOME versions, which is the confusing bit) has a Screen to the left of the captain...where the sidestick would be on an airbus. I do not know the layout of a 777, so I cannot say much else. I have heard it is on the 200 version but not the 300 version. My dad caters aircraft and saw it on Emirates at EGKK. Now works at EGLL and has not seen it on any there.

Qu: What is it? :confused:

Shed any light anyone?

Smooth skies

expedite_climb
18th Sep 2002, 09:43
Tonic,

I dunno about the 777, but a quick look on airliners.net and I can only see a clipboard holder there - there is this though - an engineering panel by one of the j/s's.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/271396/M/

Tonic Please
18th Sep 2002, 09:47
expedite_climb. Upon checkin with dad...this seems to not be the screen. He confirmed it was a 777-300 of Emirates...so maybe an Emirates chap could help.

Thank you for your reply however, e_c :D

Smooth skies

Jet II
18th Sep 2002, 16:30
The panel in the picture is the MAT (Maintenance Access Terminal) and is located on the r/h side just behind the FO.

On some 777's (its a customer option) there are extra maintenance panels to the left and right of the main flight deck displays - if the panels are not fitted there is a clipboard and cupboard in its place.

:)

18th Sep 2002, 19:52
Wouldn't be a very 'manual' landing if the pilot used autothrottle all the way to touchdown . . . . .?

Surely this would involve cranking the speed back to Vref via the MCP, as oppose to doing it manually via the throttles?

Is this something specific to the 777, as I've never come across a manually 'flown' approach combined with MCP manipulated autothrottles.........

Am I being stupid!?

:t

777AV8R
18th Sep 2002, 22:47
To Clarify, if I might.

The use of autothrottle is a recommended procedure, and..it makes life a little nicer. A manually flown approach is no big deal in this airplane...because...it is an airplane. Having the autothrottles control speed is just a bonus. This aircraft is extremely speed sensitive and accelerates quite rapidly. An autothrottle off approach is not a special procedure and in some cases it is a convenience to disarm them...as in a missed approach with a light aircraft and a small altitiude gain...to be able to manually control the thrust in this kind of situation is a nice touch.

I'm not sure what screens that you are talking of, however; there is a modification available to this aircraft that allows for installation of another display immediately to the Captain's left side panel and the F/O's side panel (near the left knee and right knee respectively) on which Jepp Charts, company operational procedures or anything that normally requires paper, to be displayed (paperless cockpit). No more Jepp Manuals.

I hope it helps.

Trent_ 772B
19th Sep 2002, 05:05
To 777AV8R,

Just to clarify, does Boeing recommend the use of a/throttle when doing a manual landing? Also what rule of thumb do you use to calculate your top of descent on the B777? Thank you!

SuperRanger
19th Sep 2002, 06:15
trent,

i believe usage of A/T during a manual landing varies from company to company. having said that, i believe boeings' procedures recommend the usage of A/T.

usually the FMC does the calculation for TOD ;) However, if you have to do it manually, it's Altitude (thousands of feet) X 3 plus 19nm. it is available in the QRH (if you can still remember how to read it ;))

SR

777AV8R
19th Sep 2002, 14:16
Yup..agreed. Some further clarification might be required though.

The philosophy is to use ALL the automation that is available to the pilot. It's the way the airplane was built. Keep the workload to a minimum by using all the 'neat' things that the Boeing people designed in to this airplane, to make it what it is today. That said, however; the pilot has the option of using as much or as little as he/she wants.

Corporate philosophy and their flight operations manual, will stipulate in some way, when it is required to use all the automation, etc.

With respect to autothrottles again...if I were to disarm the autothrottles for a manual landing....then...I'd have to begin to do a lot of math again....wind additives...1/2 wind + full gust to Vref +20. With autothrottles engaged...the MCP speed is selected to Vref 30 +5 and the autothrottles look after things from there. It cuts the workload down.

All this said about automation however; it is still an airplane. All the automatic and convenience items can be deselected and.....wow...it's just like a big 737 without 'the works'.