PDA

View Full Version : A question for Gaunty and his men

Grivation
17th Sep 2002, 08:24
Folks - looking to draw on your wealth of experience on this one.

If I buy a new FAR23 aircraft directly from the factory in the US, what sort of taxation issues am I up for - sales tax in the US? Import duty into OZ? GST? anything else?

Torres
18th Sep 2002, 08:00
Why would you pay US sales tax on an export? There is no import duty on aircraft.

Grivation
18th Sep 2002, 09:53
I don't know Torres - that's what I'm trying to find out. I've never imported an aircraft before and am looking for information from those who have.

the wizard of auz
19th Sep 2002, 13:49
Dont ask Gaunty he's probably forgoten coz he's old. :D :D

gaunty
19th Sep 2002, 15:30
wiz

Bugga,................ but that's true. :D

It's a long while and I seriously dont know what's the go.

Especially with this new fangled GST, ........the ******s tried to charge me GST on the replacement disk brake pads on me zimmer frame.

Grivation sorry cant help you with the latest goss on this.

I hate to have to say this:D :D but our friend nasa might be able to help.:p

nasa
20th Sep 2002, 06:36
I know I answered this.....I know I answered this.....I know I answered this......Maybe you're not to old after all gaunty....but I know I answered this.....WTF is my post Woomera :confused: :confused:

Sh!t....Now I can't remember what I said.....I know, I know Don't take any notice of Torres.....No, No that was another thread :D :D

Ok, Ok, Ok (Joe Peshe in Lethal Weapon :D )....The first thing is to ensure that any taxes that may be levied in the US are included by whomever you are purchasing the aircraft from, in the sale price of the aircraft, or they wear the taxes.....different states in the US have different tax rules, down to the point of one being able to avoid tax by taking physical delivery of an aircraft in certain states, regardless of where the actual deal was done.....but I digress.

The last three aircraft I have imported from OS have been since the introduction of GST and one generally has to front with the GST component prior to the aircraft being released from customs upon entry, unless it is either owned by an OS company with an OS registration and therefore not subject to GST until one removes it from the OS register, or prior arrangements have been made in relation to the GST....Seek thy CPA for further advice.

Grivation
20th Sep 2002, 07:08
Thanks nasa - unfortunately you've confirmed my research with regard to the GST :(