PDA

View Full Version : How low can the news choppers go (over residential)?

Eboy
17th Sep 2002, 02:17
One in Washington, DC flown by WTTG TV (the Fox TV affiliate, channel 5) has flown several times over my neighborhood in DC and hovered, I'd guess, about 150-200 feet above the rooftops for 10-20 minutes at a time, to get good live pics of activities on Capitol Hill and the National Mall (as I can see from my TV).

Isn't this below height regulations? Moreover, isn't it dangerous in the event of a helicopter malfunction? There would not seem time to take corrective action. I seem to recall hearing a 500 feet limit. I have reported it to the police, who referred me to the Washington National airport tower, who referred me to the TV station. None of those seem to interested in this. So, maybe it is not that big of deal.

sierra-papa
17th Sep 2002, 03:32
Eboy,
having flown this kind of operation (we call it ENG - electronic news gathering) myself, I want to try give you a few insights that may help explain your question.
1. As for the helicopter, what may appear from the ground as 200 feet may actually be 400 - who knows. The noise lets it appear closer than it really is. Up at 400 feet, there is almost always some wind (that you may not feel at the ground). Let's say there are 15 knots of wind existing @ 400 feet. In that case the helicopter may be outside of the "height velocity curve" - meaning able to make a safe engine out landing. It depends on the type helicopter, the weight of it etc. The helicopter could also have 2 engines - in that case his "height velocity curve" allows him to be much lower anyways.
2. As for the height regulations - there are none carved in stone for helicopters. One has to maintain such an altitude that one could execute an emergency landing without inflicting harm to people or property on the gound. Now that leaves the pilot hovering above with the task to have made up his mind where he would go in an emergency. He could also refuse the shot for the TV if he feels that it's not safe. If I were to hang out over one spot for as long as you mention, then you can be damn sure that I would want several forced landing areas nearby.
3. The 500 feet limit (if you want to call it limit) is something that most pilots and operators feel apropriat for ENG. But it is no rule in the Federal Aviation Regs.

So, other then the noise issue, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Hope I could be of help,
sp

Eboy
17th Sep 2002, 03:43
Yeah, that's helpful. Thank you. As I said, the my height estimate is a guess. It's possible I am off by quite a lot.

RW-1
17th Sep 2002, 19:13
Another key reason for 500ft "limit" is that (supposedly) any man made object in the US over that altitude must be charted (sectional), again I say supposedly...

Heliport
17th Sep 2002, 19:25
Good explanation sierra-papa.

Another example of the FAA's sensible approach to safety. Very different from our 'low flying' laws in the UK which are not only much more restrictive, but much more complicated.

3top
18th Sep 2002, 00:42
To add one to Sierra-Papa:

He is right, there is no real height-limit for HELICOPTERS in the USA. This limit does however exist for airplanes, and in the area, Eboy described it would more likely be a thousand feet.

Lucky US, it is not everywhere like this, but then most populated areas in the US of A are rather widely inhabited - speak wide streets and lots of open spaces.....

However noise becomes quite a challange in the US!!

In Europe you have already big trouble to fly an damn MODEL AIRPLANE OR HELO, because of noise issues!!

:) 3top