PDA

View Full Version : Curious CDROM speed q

The Nr Fairy
16th Sep 2002, 20:22
I have a system which has a SCSI hard disk and an (allegedly) 32x SCSI CDROM. I also have an HP IDE CD writer, which does up to 8x.

When I burn CDs I use CloneCD to copy direct from the SCSI CD to a disk image - i.e. to the SCSI disk on the same bus - then chuck the image from the SCSI disk to the IDE burner.

Question - how come my SCSI CD won't do more than 8x when doing this ? Nero CD-Speed shows about 4x, and for the techies amongst you, the CD itself is a TEAC 523S with v3.0a firmware.

Any ideas ?

Nightrider
17th Sep 2002, 01:03
you think that you only move on the same cable...no, you are shifting the data to the cpu into your CloneCD software and shuffle the data back into the same cable, this time as image data to the HD.
I doubt it has to do with the CDROM.
Try to just copy a CD to the HD with Explorer and check the time..
Which CPU and how much memory do you have? Which SCSI-adapter, which kind of SCSI HD, is it defragmented?
The advertised speeds are only possible under certain circumstances, temperature, RAM, so many factors...one more thing, does this happen with all CDs...or only with self-burnt ones? Sometimes CDs are unable to allow highspeed access.