PDA

View Full Version : Frozen ATPL but not a current IR

syed
16th Sep 2002, 20:21
:confused: :confused: Dear Readers
I have Frozen ATPL with twin IR elapsed last April, 900hrs on twin turpo-prop and total 1245hrs, unemployed pilot and not flown for over a year now.
Needing advise what I should do to make my self employable or just keep applying for jobs, wondering whether its importanty to have a current I/R. I passed my ATPL EXAMS in jan 2000, I still have another 3years to get 1500hrs to get full ATPL.
Looking for some advise. Thanks for your time responding.

langer
17th Sep 2002, 09:08
if you have a jar /cpl/ir you in fact have seven years from the expiry date of your last ir to get you 1500 hours. this is what i am lead to believe from the caa website

Splat
17th Sep 2002, 10:22
If I where you, and you do have better experience than most, I would go about getting some currecy together. Look at it from an employers point of view, not flown for a year, IR not current, sure, you'll stand out from the crowd for all the wrong reasons.

Go get that MEIR back, and convince the employers that you are back up to speed, and I'd say you have a good chance of getting further up the CV pile.

Note also, one of the questions BACE ask is, have you flown 50 hours in the last 12 months? I know many others don't ask for it up front, but I'll put money on the table that they will at some point.

S

pilotchap
17th Sep 2002, 10:57
with 1245 hrs and 900 turbo prob why are you out of work? you obviously did work for someone at some stage. Therefore you must understand whats required to get back flying again. There are hundreds out there myself included with no turbo prop time and low hours that you love to be in your position. So just stop whinging, get it sorted out and start flying again if thats what you want.

Honest Fr@nk
17th Sep 2002, 11:31
I can completely understand what you are feeling Syed.
I too am an out of work Airline Pilot, 2000 hours with 400 turbo prop, lapsed multi and single pilot IR. Lost my job last December.

I'm hoping that it will explode this autumn/winter for us in terms of job offers. Then perhaps next year it will the turn of the low hour wannabees- the ones who I think are a little jealous of our experience. I worked hard to gain my experience.

In my opinion it is not worth renewing a SINGLE PILOT instrument rating just for the sake of being able to apply to a particular airline. We have jumped through the hoops once - why should we go back and jump through them again just to please one or two airlines. The company will renew your MULTI PILOT I/R once you join the airline on an LPC.

It will happen ---wait and see????????????/

foghorn
17th Sep 2002, 11:49
Just to confirm HF´s point, I´ve seen airlines asking for applicants to either hold a current IR-SPA-ME or have a a multi-crew type on their licence. The implication here being that a lapsed multi-crew IR is acceptable for those with airline experience. Especially given that multi-crew IRs are renewed six-monthly.

A long time lapsed multi-crew IR might still cause problems, though, and regaining an IR-SPA-ME might help with proving currency and competence in that case.

The only definitive answer would be to talk to airlines and get their feelings on this. But as with many things to do with airline hiring, the official requirements might be different to those actually applied in the panic when a number of crew suddenly resign because Big Airlines is hiring again...

cheers!
foggy.

Rhumb Line
17th Sep 2002, 13:45
Hello Guys,
Something that was brought up earlier caught my attention. I hold a JAA CPL/IR which is still current. Passed my ATPL s in July 2000. What exactly is the time frame regarding keeping your ATPL exams valid ( if there is any ) and what are the consequences if you do not reach 1500 hours within that time frame.

thanks

Splat
17th Sep 2002, 13:56
Under JAA (and now national licences too), it's a rolling 7 years from last IR renewal.

This is to take into account that an ATPL requires 500 hours multi crew.

S

Broken Wings
18th Sep 2002, 13:48
Syed/Honest Fr@ank

I hear what Foggy is saying but I tend to agree with Splat as my situation may bear him out. I am an experienced ex-military pilot with 5000 hours BUT I lost my medical in 2000 and until last December hadn't flown for 3 years due to a personal injury accident in 1998. Regained my Class 1 (as, or with, co-pilot) last August and completed my SP-ME-IR in Jan this year and have kept current on a Seneca each month.

After nearly 12 months of submitting CV's had a call a couple of weeks ago from a company inviting me to an interview. Did a sim to bring myself further up to speed and prepared as well as I possibly could; the sim check and interview went well and last week I was offered a job. I have 34 hours flying and 17 hours simulator in the last 4 years but keeping current in the air and sim kept me sharp enough to pass the all important sim assessment.

The competition is stiff and keeping current will show that you are taking active steps to put you ahead of others and not waiting for the job to come to you.