PDA

View Full Version : Gonna start a rant (eyesight for Pilot)

ScopeDope
16th Sep 2002, 20:02
Okay here goes.

If I was a wannabe (which I used to be) that had less than perfect eyesight but had EVERY OTHER ATTRIBUTE needed for pilot in RAF how would I feel to see someone get through who had the physical attributes but not the 'I love military flying' (the right stuff?) commitment ?

If I had Laser Surgery to get me past that last hurdle which the RAF then said was not acceptable would I have a case against them ?

"So M'lud the RAF accepted this young man as an exceptional talent except his noncorrected eyesight was below minima. However he has had surgery, eyesight is within accepted standards for the RAF but the RAF is not allowing him through because he 'May have problems later'. How can they prove a negative. Laser Surgery has been accepted civil practise for some 10 years now, where is the proof that corrective laser surgery is anymore a risk than that of an aircrew who's eyesight has deteriorated and whose glasses may have fallen off in a High G manoeuvre.”

<Helmet on>

Stuntmole
16th Sep 2002, 21:43
Don't give up yet, unless you are too old of course!

Visited the Dept of Opthomology today and was quite categorically told that the RAF is about to purchase its own PRK laser gadget with the intention of "lasering" RAF personnel. It may take a few months to set-up (read into that what you want) but it would appear that the RAF is finally going to accept folks who have had laser eye surgery and, indeed, will start to do its own procedures; this will apply to both ground and aircrews. The only caveat was that PRK is likely to be the only accepted procedure, they still won't touch LASIK.

The nice person I was chatting with didn't have all the details but standby to hear more in the near future. Get back, I'm at the front of the queue!

brit bus driver
17th Sep 2002, 01:31
Why PRK? LASIK carries the same risks as PRK, but the healing process is much quicker and less painful, and improved vision is usually achieved in the first few weeks rather than months (though not guaranteed). Also, what's the proposed grounding time? In the Canadian Forces, laser eye surgery is an option for all branches, except pilots, and that is under review. However, they are grounded for 6 months and non-deployable for a year.

Can't wait to see the "laser" (in a Dr Evil-type voice) that the RAF are going to purchase!! I'm at the front of the queue thanks, especially after Mrs Driver had hers done 6 months ago and hasn't looked back - pardon the pun. But I think I'd rather have someone who's been doing it for a few years make my epithelial flap, not an RAF doctor with a new toy!! (Watch out sonny, you'll have someone's eye out with that thing!!:D)

wub
17th Sep 2002, 07:58
Many many moons ago, when the only smell in a Nimrod was fresh paint, I was sent to see an Air Commodore at the RAF hospital at Wroughton to have him determine if my eyesight was within limits for aircrew. His advice to me was that I was borderline and that when I went to Biggin Hill (!) for OASC, I should "squint a bit in the eye tests, but don't let them see you doing it"

I didn't get through :(

rivetjoint
17th Sep 2002, 11:10
You probably didn't get through cos the bloke at OASC took one look at you and thought "heres another one whos got duff eyes and trying to squint through my tests!"

wub
17th Sep 2002, 11:35
:cool:

Reichman
17th Sep 2002, 12:05
Sorry to be less than sympathetic (and we all know where to find that in the dictionary), but there has to be a line drawn and if you're just the wrong side of it - well I'm afraid it's tough poop.

Or perhaps the OASC interview should go along the lines of:

Interviewer: So, how much do you want to be a pilot in the RAF?

Interviewee: A lot.

Interviewer: Right, you're in.

:D

AirfixPilot
17th Sep 2002, 12:13
As I said in my post on the original thread...

"If anyone wants a guinea pig, I'm here!"

Is there anyone out there (I know you exist - you've helped before) who has a bit more firm info on this topic? Someone in the loop, perhaps?

PRK rather than LASIK, eh? Guess there's less chance of your cornea detaching under extreme conditions (urhgh, I hear you say). I'd do it. Come on - ask me. I'm your man! I didn't try so hard to pass all the aptitude tests to be an engineer...

WhiteDevil
17th Jun 2003, 00:29
hiya guys,
ive been talking to my sargeant at the Air Training Corps about becoming a pilot and he said it may not be possible with glasses...

Basically our convo. was about me not being able to be a pilot in the RAF because i wear glasses (this info. he got from the Norwich Recruiters)...

My eyesight is +3.5 & +3.75 dipotres (im long sighted and have worn glasses since i was 3), where the JAR regulation is +/- 5.0 dipotres so surely i am eligable?

I dont mind if i have to have corrective surgery, i just would like to know if it is possible to fly in the RAF...

if i am not however what other ways are there of learning to fly... Sponsorship would be the only other way, but i really would like to fly the RAF jets... Also do sponsorship people (such as CTC) have the same requirements?

Any input :{
Adam

BlueWolf
17th Jun 2003, 07:23
ScopeDope, I am happy for you that the option of some kind of laser correction may yet exist.

Many many moons back I missed out for exactly the same reason, and was exactly as p1ssed off. Back then there were no other options, no waivers, no glasses even considered let alone allowed. So that was that.

Since then the rules have changed; the RNZAF doesn't demand perfect uncorrected eyesight anymore, but then again we don't have any planes anymore either:hmm:

Also since then I have somehow become just a teensy wee bit too old for consideration.....

Where there's life there's hope. Keep trying, and good luck.:ok: