PDA

View Full Version : Guidence on Class1 with defective eyesight?

halos
16th Sep 2002, 18:22
Can anyone give me some guidence on any route I can take to obtain a Class 1 medical with defective eyesight.

I have a condition called an amblyopic eye [lazy eye] which affects one eye and is untreatable [unless you know different] this condition affects my ability to focus resulting in blurred vision to the one affected eye however it doesn't affect my field of vision or my perceptions of colour in that eye and i have full and clear vision in the other eye

I currently hold a JAA Class 2 medical issued by the CAA and have recently renewed this However i would fall far short of the lower standard for the Class 1

I have heard there is a way called the Statement of Demonstrated Ability [SODA] run by the FAA which takes into account your ability to safely operate an aircraft and doesn't stick rigidly to the medical requirements . Can anyone give me any information on this and does the CAA run a similar scheme, or are there any other ways round this problem

I hope someone can enlighten me.

gdnhalley
18th Sep 2002, 22:57
HALOS
I also have a lazy eye and was unable to get a class one until the eyesight standards changed this year, even then, only by being treated as a renewal rather than an initial. (by having an FAA CPL, which I acquired just for that purpose.)
Also depending on how bad your eyesight is, you may be able to improve it slightly by using "BATES", I believe I improved my lazy eye from 6/12 to 6/9 that way.

good luck

sierra-papa
28th Sep 2002, 00:48
gdnhalley
what is BATES?
sp

halos
28th Sep 2002, 13:21
sierra-papa

Bates is a technique used to improve eyesight without glasses or surgery through various exercises haven't used it myself yet but may give it a go find out more about them from here

good luck

http://www.seeing.org