PDA

View Full Version : CPL Training / ICAO IR Conversion.

Field In Sight
16th Sep 2002, 18:04
Has anybody recently done the ICAO IR followed by the 15hr conversion course and if so, did they come across any problems with it.

However, as the ICAO conversion option has only just come out I'm not expecting too many responses so I'll add another question for good measure.

How much more difficult did you find the CPL training/GFT compared to the PPL?

Thanks,
FIS.

Skyambition
16th Sep 2002, 18:54
Did not do it myself but have a very good friend who did.

He found no problem with the conversion, he did his CPL first and that took him around 10 hrs to convert. He did the IR conversion in the 15 hrs required. He passed both first time!

Cheers!!!

Grivation
17th Sep 2002, 06:41
There was a good thread on this subject not two weeks ago (including costs). Have a search back.

Field In Sight
17th Sep 2002, 08:28
I did a search before posting and couldn't find anything relevant.

Don't suppose you could post the link please.

Cheers,

FIS

Grivation
17th Sep 2002, 09:05
It was on the 7th Sept. Search for 'Australian conversion' and/or poster 'zacc'

Field In Sight
17th Sep 2002, 11:10
Thanks Grivation,

Any opinions on the PPL/CPL differences?

Grivation
17th Sep 2002, 11:59
You've lost me there sorry - say again

Field In Sight
17th Sep 2002, 13:33
Sorry, the question wasn't directed specifically at you, I was just asking the same question as in the second part of my original post.

i.e. For people that have passed the CPL GFT how did they find the training and test compared to their PPL.

FIS.

foghorn
17th Sep 2002, 14:01
The usual format of the test is similar to the PPL: VFR departure - navigation - GH - VFR recovery to airfield for circuits.

The main differences are:

- TheCPL skills test is done in front of a CAAFU examiner rather than a freelance/club PPL FE.
- CPL skills test includes a significant simulated Instrument Flight portion. YouŽll be expected to fully comply with IFR in this portion, negotiate a suitable ATC service and clearances, and keep track of your position by radio fixing. The idea is that you pass into cloud on one of your nav legs - when you get back out of cloud you should know where you are and be able to navigate to your turning point (this is the most often failed section).
- Generally, more accurate flying to tighter heading, altitude and speed tolerances than the PPL are expected.

Just like on the PPL, the examiners do give leeway - no doubt with the number of people they examine they know exactly who should pass and who shouldnŽt without having to strictly adhere to prescriptive tolerances. The old 'would I trust my family in an aircraft with this pilot' criterion operates.

cheers!
foggy

Field In Sight
17th Sep 2002, 15:02
Cheers foggy,

Just what I wanted to know.
I haven't heard to many posts about people having problems on this part of the training so hopefully it won't cause too many problems.

FIS