PDA

View Full Version : Job seekers Allowance

Bluebaron
16th Sep 2002, 15:45
Are there any fully quailified pilots out there (Frozen ATPL) who are claiming JSA.

I was wondering what you might say at interview ie "i was on the dole", or is it better to get a job in the high street as it shows that you are a hard worker.

I'm 29 and never claimed before so maybe i'm due a few quid. I believe that the going rate is around 54 quid a week. Plus if i look after my little girl i save 500 quid a month in child care.

Any thoughts?

BB

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Sep 2002, 18:54
The Employment Service will try to force you to take any suitable work. The definition of suitable being the key.

From knowing people who have claimed it seems the following pattern exists:

Firstly you will need 6 months of unemployment to be eligbile for benefit. Tip, register as unemployed whilst finishing training, say you are doing less than 16hrs a week of study and you will be legal.

Secondly with a Frzn ATPL they will give you six months of benefit whilst looking for a proper pilots job. You will be OK to refuse whatever else they offer you.

Thirdly, after 6 months you will have to accept interviews for virtually any job they have for an able bodied male. The trick is to accept the compulsion of interview willingly. Then at interview make yourself plainly unemployable by stating "I intend to move to Hartlepool to live with my Aunt next month".

The employer will not wish to take you on and waste admin and training expense. The Employment Service cannot touch you if you later decide not to move to Hartlepool - whereas they can if you sit at interview and try to set fire to the desk.

In this way you can successfully claim benefit for quite some time before they push you into the New Deal. The option to take at that time is full time study on some course or other at the local Tech which will be so untaxing as to allow you to pursue a flying job more or less full time.

It might be less effort to get an actual job though...

Good luck,

worzel
16th Sep 2002, 19:33
Of course when you're on the dole Chief Pilots will be queing up to offer you a job flying one of their shiny jets. They will admire you're ingenuity and outstanding knowledge of how to work the system and that your helping spend 40% of their hard graft.

They will appreciate the fact that you have been saving your energy to give 110% to the job that they will offer and not wasting it slaving away at Tesco's.

They will appreciate that your a hard working, genuine,reliable and trustworthy employee, although no-one can confirm this.

They won't think that just because you've been unemployed for 6 months and haven't even been able to get a job in Macdonalds that your unemployed and unemployable.

If it was me I'd get a job. Anything.

worzel

whisperbrick
17th Sep 2002, 07:40
Hi,
I was unemployed for two months only before receiving payment, don't know if that is different as regards being made redundant.

Why shouldn't you claim it ?At least as professionals we have an intention of getting back to work and having paid my dues for several years why not !Every pilot I know who was made redundant did.

Its a tricky one:when do you downscale your search for a flying job and take some god-awful job doing something else ?Personally if you can afford it take two months out and look for flying work, then begin to find something alse as a filler I would do that.i have not had a negative response to being on JSA at any of the interviews i have been to.

Another thing you may like to know:when your 13 weeks is up for looking for a pilots job so they don't give you the first rubbish that comes to hand, turn round and say, " I have now expanded my search to jobs in airtraffic control ":they won't know you are not qualified to do it and you will get more breathing space.

And wurzel i get your (sarcastic) point about appearing to be a hard worker,but 1.I won't want a reference from macdonalds, i'm afraid i would find it hard to give 100% there and 2. There is no bloody way that is going on my CV ever, so they wouldn't be able to contact them anyway.

Mister Geezer
17th Sep 2002, 11:31
I am still waiting for my licence to be issued by the CAA and I signed on last week. they seemed happy that I had just finished my training and it was a pain less process.

I have to agree with the point made by whisperbrick.

Worzel

I have only signed on as a stop gap for a month or so. However until I get my paperwork issued by the CAA, my hands are tied! Furthermore I am making myself available to my local flying club whenever they need someone to ferry aircraft for maintenance which is P1 hours into the log book and therefore keeping me current. I would be surprised if any Chief Pilot of any HR department would frown upon such a thing. It's not very easy to drop the fries on the floor at McDs and say to the boss that you are going flying! :)

I agree that claiming your dole money for a long period and/or and sitting at home watching TV non stop is not a good idea. However if you plan to use your time effectively while looking for work, then I don't see what you would have to be afraid of in a interview!

Cheers

Number Cruncher
17th Sep 2002, 13:21
This is all very encouraging reading for all wannabes!

After reading this, it brings it home how bad things can get and i will certainly be continuing work whilst training!

Good luck.

Flypuppy
17th Sep 2002, 13:59
Well, just after I completed the CPL/ME training I tried to apply to McDonalds. They rejected my application as being overqualified.

Still a wee bit embarassed to have recieved a PFO from McDonalds though...

BlueBaron, if you have some form of previous career, maybe you could investigate getting some work on a short term contract basis. Generally the money is not too bad, and it allows you a certain amount of flexibility should the market pick up and you need to start your type rating course next Monday.

pjdj777
17th Sep 2002, 16:06
You don't need to wait 6 months to claim as unemployed.

The Employment Service doesn't exist anymore, it's beenr eplaced by Jobcentre Plus, an amalgamation of the Employment Service and the Benefits Agency, covering all benefits for "working age" people.

There are two types of Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), one is contributory based, which is a standard rate of about £54 a week, but you must have paid the last two years full national insurance contributions. This is payable for a maximum of 6 months.

There is also an income based JSA, this can be paid alongside contributory JSA or in place of it, it does not depend on contributions but it is means tested, so there is no set rate, it depends on your circumstances, savings and income are taken into account, and you dependents are included in the calculation. If you have a partner working over 24 hours a week you will not be entitled but it can include amounts for your mortgage.

For both of these benefits you must sign a jobseekers agreement and sign on every fortnight at the jobcentre. You should be given 6 months grace to find something in your "field" after that, you are expected to accept any job.

tailscrape
17th Sep 2002, 17:47
Paul,

I trust Mrs Jones told you that!! Or have you been State Sponging????!!??

You will now no longer hear me as "jmc" or "jetset", but as "EuroTrans????". What that has to do with DHL I will never know.

I keep hearing you "flystars" or is it "shysters" about the track...... hope it's going well mate!

MW

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th Sep 2002, 18:24
pjdj777 - sounds like you have the current situation Chapter and Verse.

pjdj777
17th Sep 2002, 19:02
Tailscrape, well done matey, good to see you're secure at last.

WWW - in a previous life I was a benefits advisor, not very rock and roll ;)

Mister Geezer
17th Sep 2002, 20:29
tailscrape

Euro Trans/BCS = European Air Transport (Brussels based DHL outfit!)

Bluebaron
21st Sep 2002, 08:02
thanks for your imput everyone, anyway can't stop off to get my 54 quid!! (only joking;) ) I'll wait a few months yet!

Ex Oggie
22nd Sep 2002, 19:55
I have been looking for a flying job for 2 1/2 years, and spent half that on JSA, before finding a ramp rat job to tied me over. There are lots of freebies that they will give you if you push them, that will help you later such as interview technique, word processing skills etc. I even got them to pay for a years membership of the IPA!!

Don't look on it as unemployed, more "occupationally challenged with enhanced leisure potential" :D

Cheers