PDA

View Full Version : Kulula - Low Cost kings of SA?

bacon torpedo
16th Sep 2002, 13:14
Hi Guys...and Girls!

Have any of you had any dealings with Kulula yet. I'm trying to find out what they do that makes them so low-cost. I work for easyJet in Europe and want to know if they look for 20-30 min turns, and what you people think about their operation?

Any info will do.

Cheers

Gunship
16th Sep 2002, 19:08
BT, I have flown as pax on many occasion and they are quite kewl. No in-flight entertainment, no plastic food or drinks. But you can pay for quite a variety of real food - actually very nice.

No smart uniforms (tie and jackets and crap) - just denims and white shirts if i remember correctly.

They are part of Comair in South Africa that "is part of" British Airways and sometimes known as BA - Comair.

They fly 727's that will go to the trash can at year - end (rumour).

They had their first real emergency last week when a sudden de-compression occured. The pilot (Theuns Zerwick) flew at 10k to Cape Town (I think) and all ok.

I have and will fly with them any day - cheap and professional.

Cheers ... Tassies is on the table bru (just finished with the braai as well) ... nighty night ...

gravitysux
16th Sep 2002, 20:06
What about these Sun Air oakes...How do they match up?
Have heard good things...all businees Klaass ek se..and not too ugli hostages either..Kewll(?)
anti gravity rules!!!;)

The Claw
17th Sep 2002, 05:56
You forgot BA-Comairs other name.........Pomair! :D :D

bacon torpedo
17th Sep 2002, 08:48
Pomair....very good!!! Come to think off it, I've only ever taken one internal flight in SA and that was with Comair. I'm glad you Saffies hold us in such affection.

Do you think their is room in the market for another low-cost venture? How much traffic is their outside the existing Kulula routes in Southern Africa?

MM MLE
17th Sep 2002, 13:41
It looks like there's an intention of planning to get some dust into the air.. This pilot is all ears, if...planning......new....venture..?!...

MM

bacon torpedo
17th Sep 2002, 14:38
Don't get too excited MM MLE.

This is just me being selfish. I'm hoping to move to SA in the next year or so and wanted to get a feel for the low-cost market! I wondered if they are using similar ideas as your Ryanair's and easyJet's.

Maybe SAA will venture into the game? What do you think?

Gunship
17th Sep 2002, 15:34
Last time I flew Kulula.com I paid R575 and the Sunair ticket was R2999 - a bit of a difference - and Sunair is purely business class and catering for that market only.

I dunno if there is another open market, all I know Kulala helped Pomair or whatever out of the sh*t after 9-11.

Cheers,

Yossarian
18th Sep 2002, 06:14
Yup, have to agree with Guns, Sun Air is definitely looking at a very different market from Kulula. Good luck to both.

What is Kulula going to operate if the 72's are out of the picture at year's end? Is Kulula the way Pomair is heading as a company? Just testing the waters now, perhaps?

driver airframe
18th Sep 2002, 09:11
Rumour has it that Kulula is going to operate the 737-400's and maybe one or two 737-200's, doesn't make much sense as the 737-400 doesn't have the same payload (pax & cargo) as the 727. The operating cost of the 737-400 must also be much higher than the 727, so watch those fares, they are probably going up to try and make the books balance.

Paddle Steamer
18th Sep 2002, 12:29
I really do not think that the 727 is going to "bed "soon.SAFAIR has a few available and the kalula market is ideal.Also the pool of crew is large and so expect to see the seven toooo around for a while.Still the fastest to CT.

Gunship
19th Sep 2002, 04:53
Lo Paddle Streamer,

Got the info first hand from a snr co-pilot. Will check it out with a more - senior guy.
Cheers,

Gunship
19th Sep 2002, 18:10
Ok the correct facts :

ALL 727's from Comair / Kulala.com / Pomair / British Airways in SA will be returned after their lease from SAFAIR. The two remaining one's that belongs to abovementioned will be sold / leased ... whatever.

Short and sweet of it .. all the guys love the 727 (15 minutes faster than 737 CT- Jhb) but fuel effeciency is the downfall. 727 crew already on 737 conversions.

Cheers,

Ernesto
19th Sep 2002, 20:10
Gravitysux,

What kind of a ou is jy man ? Eh ?

Wat is 'n oake eh ? Hoop dis nie 'n engelsman ..

Hope it's a typo or we're doomed je weet.

PAXboy
20th Sep 2002, 00:31
I shall be using them in November for the first time but I gather their maintenance is pretty good. So it looks as if this trip will be my last run to CPT in the Two.

I was not surprised to hear about them having a decompression, as these old baby's used to do that when they belonged to SunAir (the first!). ;)

I used SunAir in December 1997 and it was a superb service. The meal in Biz was served Silver Service and was one of the FINEST airline meals I have had in 37 years as a pax.

Gunship
20th Sep 2002, 04:50
Paxboy, If you arrive with pounds make use of the "new Sunair" operating from Lanseria. Business class only and for below R3k (160 pounds) you will have a ball if you are into meals and so on.... as a pax :D

bacon torpedo
20th Sep 2002, 14:52
We're all doomed anyway, so the last thing you should worry about is another man's spelling!!!!!;)

Gunship
20th Sep 2002, 17:29
Paxboy,

.. sorry you will most probably miss out on the "Winter Special" of Sun Air .. here are the prices : SUN Air (http://www.sunair.co.za/)

Flight information General
Two scheduled flights daily, six days a week (excluding Saturdays).

FARE (all inclusive)

Return Fares
R1999 valid from 19 April to 30 September 2002
Advanced Purchase fares available please call 0861 84 84 84.
R2999 valid from 01 October 2002

One Way
R1499 valid from 19 April to 30 September 2002
R1500 valid from 01 October 2002

Not bad for business class, RED leather seats and uhmm "onboard massage" ... Paxboy ... this is the answer m8.

Cheers,

PAXboy
22nd Sep 2002, 16:54
Hi Gunship - many thanks for that.

I had heard about this service and I have to make two trips to CPT during my stay, one of which is one-way, so this could be the time. I have not used Lanseria before but have heard much about it as my nephew did almost all his training and early work there. I have friends out near Four Ways, so might stay with them before going out to Lanseria.

I'll let you know.

Cheers.

Gunship
23rd Sep 2002, 13:11
Lo Paxboy,

If you are in Fourways - HIGHLY recommended use Lanseria - it is a few minutes away - as you might know to Smuts (Jhb Int) will take you anything from an hour or even two.

Enjoy !