PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi DC3 doing Charter

in medias res
16th Sep 2002, 10:39
Interesting to see an NZ reg DC3 doing charter operations, for a sydney tourist operator, with Australian pax over the last few months around NSW. The CAR's are quite straight forward, commercial operations require Aust rego. Less work for local pilots and aircraft. ZK-AMS is the callsign I think.
Either the regs are there for all of us, or none of us.... :mad:

olderbutyzer
16th Sep 2002, 11:26
Yep, rego is ZK-AMS. Aircraft is ex VH-PWN, which was owned by Dick Lang from Adelaide. The one that was immortalised in John Williamson's song "Coming down from Queensland in old PWN"
Has been seen at Balcanoona in the Flinders Ranges, & also at Hawker.

puff
16th Sep 2002, 12:07
in medias res...we can't complain too much QF has a few 737s flying in NZ with VH rego's being flown around mostly by Aussie's!

Interesting that the a/c is linked to that song olderbutyzer, did it used to be based in Weipa as said in the song?

Blue Hauler
16th Sep 2002, 23:48
Puff

Formerly operated by Bush Pilots (BPA) out of Cairns with several sister ships - late 70's - early 80's if my memory serves. Some of the former Bushies guys on the site would have more info.

big buddah
17th Sep 2002, 23:38
in medias res,

Not trying to start a fight, as puff said VH rego's and pilots fly over here not to many complaints.

Pionair have got a good web site www.pionair.com ,they do charter tours around NZ for yank tour companies.

They fly across the ditch every year to do out back tours. Good bunch of guys.

compressor stall
18th Sep 2002, 07:42
No problem, less snow over here....:rolleyes: ;)

goatgruff
21st Sep 2002, 19:34
does it have a squeaky tail wheel?;)
Only real gooney birds have a squeaky tail wheel....:p

Sqwark2000
21st Sep 2002, 21:34
Don't want to further burst your bubble there, in medias res

But there is another NZ operator in OZ doing charters in NZ rego'd a/c using a mix of NZ/Oz pilots.

I think it might have to do with that "Open Skies Agreement" that's been around for a while, but Oz was reluctant to particpate for a while.

S2K