PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Recruiting

Jotul
16th Sep 2002, 09:59
Has Virgin continued the interviews that they forecast in September or are they still catching their breath.
Any ideas how many ex AN crew are flying for the airline and what their total pilot numbers are ?.

eyeball
16th Sep 2002, 11:58
Interviews are apparently underway - not sure of the numbers.

jetblues
16th Sep 2002, 14:45
Interviews set to continue for another 3 mths with 60+ more pilots expected to be recruited.

Jotul
17th Sep 2002, 11:44
Can anyone help with this information.

E.P.
17th Sep 2002, 12:00
Boeing has won the day, therefore I wonder how the Widebody is to fit into the equation (and how Corrigan feels!)

Interviewing is full steam ahead, with a preference for pilots from overseas, or basically anyone who is not ex-Ansett.

Java
17th Sep 2002, 12:52
Have BOEING won the deal for the new aircraft?
I hadn't heard any news yet.

Willie Nelson
17th Sep 2002, 13:27
E.P.

Please explain................

I must have missed that bit, why would they not want to hire ex-Ansett?

Is it political, I might guess so, I really am missing something here!

:confused:

Good to see a second carrier of significance hiring again, it's a long and slow healing process I guess.

There is nothing quite as useless as a meaningless maxim

Richard Kranium
17th Sep 2002, 15:39
The problem is that the the chief pilot is an ex-despute (Ansett) pilot and he has "THE LIST"and lives by it, so virtually ex-Ansett pilots will will not get a look in...so end'th the lesson...............:(

redsnail
17th Sep 2002, 17:49
Some ex Ansett pilots are getting interviews. Admittedly they wouldn't be on "The list" because they joined after 89.

Overseas pilots can have Australian residency and Australian licences. 3 people in our house have just that. We live in the UK.

wingnut69
17th Sep 2002, 23:33
SK111, mate you've got to be kidding don't ya! VB could fill their boots with blokes from overseas with all the rerquired paperwork needed. They are out there in their droves. All waiting. The real question is, what do these blokes (& girls) have to do to get a bloody interview. And 99.9% have/had nothing to do with 89. So you can get rid of that one straight away. Ridiculous!:mad:

hvy 18 wheeler
18th Sep 2002, 01:07
There are at least 900 aussies flying for cx and all but 150/200 of them are type rated on heavy metal with P1 ( command experience). I know quite alot who have left the flock over the past 12 mths to head off to DJ after being told loosely they will get quick commands because of the experience. Look out DJ boys and girls, there is a wealth of experience out there that could come back at a moments notice and take that command from you and push your promotion back for another year.

Your new EBA should also have a seniority list in it with the company being made to promote according to the list not to merit.
The only problem happens when no one is suitably qualified for the command so they still have the excuse to go over your heads and recruit direct entry to the left seat.

Such is life with a low cost carrier.

PS how the ****lands going in the islander reddo, or did you end up on something heavier.

:rolleyes:

Gnadenburg
18th Sep 2002, 01:18
ExAnsett pilots are being interviewed.

The behaviour of senior pilots will not help swell the numbers.Bailing up Branson and discrimination cases will not change a thing.Only jeopardise the chances of a few of your former colleagues.

Can we detect angst from junior VB pilots within?

I know of exAN pilots achieving quick commands.Probably quicker than a less experienced pilot who joined at a similar time.

But same is true of ex CX, EK and a host of other pilots from backgrounds of jet experience.

Anti-Ansett sentiments more fashionable.

topend3
18th Sep 2002, 01:44
and when did virgin announce they had gone boeing anyway??? news to me, haven't heard any announcement yet...

Jotul
18th Sep 2002, 10:38
Great ! but does anyone know how many pilots DJ has now and what they are shooting for.

redsnail
18th Sep 2002, 11:22
SK111, No worries. :)

Hvy 18 wheeler. Now flying a G reg Shorts 360 carting freight. :)

eisle s
18th Sep 2002, 23:46
Jotul, Virgin Blue have about 300 pilots at present (+/- a few), and are currently recruiting to increase numbers to around 360 pilots by March next year.
Hope this helps.

E.P.
19th Sep 2002, 06:59
JAVA et al.

RABY is making the statement re: BOEING to the new recruits.

Please don't throw rocks however, I think it is a myopic choice, based on fear of the unknown.

Corrigan wants container capacity and CCQ with the WIDEBODY. The NG is a fine A/C but NOT the correct choice for VBs future.

'Overseas pilots' refers to both Aussies abroad and foreigners.

600 HUNDRED unemployed experienced jet pilots here and Raby does AUSTRALIA proud by employing "employed foreigners."
(So much for the $$Millions from the QLD Govt to support employment here.)

Did this not happen once a long time.............

gaunty
19th Sep 2002, 07:35
E.P.

Yes but this time they are Australians returning from political exile and "political dissident' status, not opportunists.

Something as an Australian I never ever thought I would see in Australia.

chimbu warrior
19th Sep 2002, 07:53
Focus on the positive................AT LEAST SOMEONE IS HIRING. It does not matter who is or is not getting a start; at least some pilots are getting hired and any movement in this industry is ultimately good for all of us. Who knows, by 3003 the backlog may have cleared and I may get a chance.........somewhere.........

Chequebook
19th Sep 2002, 10:14
is it true that 13 years later the CHIEF is trying to screw his comrades again, but this time from the other side of the fence?

:D

Java
19th Sep 2002, 12:04
E.P. is that an accurate figure of 600 pilots unemployed, are they all ex-Ansett.

E.P.
19th Sep 2002, 12:51
Java

Give or take, sadly some take.........

CHECKERS

J.R.s 3000hr total (soon-to-be) Check Capt. Son often spruks from his lofty and ponderously experienced position.

Quote:

"Airbus are crap, Ansett pilots are worse".....(sic)

Ahhhh....Aviation.

Gnadenburg
19th Sep 2002, 13:46
EP

What a bitter little boy he is.

Silly statements like that wont stand.

exAN in VB are very tight lipped.Never understood why,but B##`s tantrum explains

Thankfully, now we all have mates exKD CX etc in VB to get a true picture of the Empire.

Was it true the altitude bust in SYD recently, due miss set altimeters, is to be solved by a recommendation of autopilot use on departure.

Surely VBs autopilots aren`t that good as to not blow through an altitiude with incorrect altimeter settings.

E.P.
19th Sep 2002, 22:55
Go-Gnad old boy,

No bitterness, just facts.

Unlike your sententious ponderings and lack of syntax.

Gnadenburg
20th Sep 2002, 00:08
When big airlines get a dodgy EBA through the Chief Pilot gets a bonus.

Maybe further nepotism the bonus here.

hvy 18 wheeler
20th Sep 2002, 02:24
Don't get upset with DJ's recruiting policies, they have no real training system in place, they have no need for very inexperienced recruits like CX or QF and they don't give a **** weather you like the fact that you paid for an endorsement on a domestic airliner without fully considering the consequences of your actions.

I will state it again, if you said yes i would love to work for DJ when thay asked you if you wanted the job, then why bitch about it now.

Remember you joined an airline in its infancy that still is trying to lay down some S.O.P.'s so don't let the fact that management can and will do anything thay want with your contract.

Its a fact of life;)

747-400 F/O
21st Sep 2002, 07:05
I have heard that few guys have left. Apparently on of the ex CX guys told them thanks but no thanks and see you later. Any truth to the guys leaving?

Jotul
21st Sep 2002, 13:08
eisle s - thanks for that.
Like getting blood out of a stone:p