PDA

View Full Version : Aviation on Trial

geoffrey thomas
16th Sep 2002, 01:08
I was asked to post this website address by a number of pilots for an article that I wrote on the trend to criminalize aviation for the September issue of Air Transport World.
Geoffrey Thomas

http://www.atwonline.com/current_feature.cfm

Al E. Vator
16th Sep 2002, 01:25
HI GT......thanks for the link. Regarding another topic you were going to reply back on August 30 to the following, but haven't heard from you yet.

The respective posts (including one from yourself) are as follows.
========================================

GT.......I ran a question past you on another topic but (think it disappeared from the radar screens eventually ) didn't get a response - I know you are a busy boy.

Specifically it was related to a possible involvement by the gentleman under discussion (operating an airline-funded Aviation Centre) in 'Operation Sewn-Up' formulated to terminate Compass Mk 1. This 'successful' venture was instigated by a major airline using government departments and formulated by a private organisation to keep the operation at arms length.

What is your knowlege of this gentlemans' involvement in this operation? I am aware of the need to be discreet and happy to append everything with 'alleged' but think their are many here who would be most interested in an in-depth answer, should you know something about this.

Moerover of greater concern is your quote "Re Peter Harbison: Most in the industry from a management and financial perspective rank him very highly".

How is he funded? Airlines pay him directly do they not?
Therefore how can anybody take his comments as unbiased or impartial?

Specifically therefore, how can any journalist "rank him very highly"?

Are his comments based on the $$$$$$$ he gets from third parties? Automatically does this therefore place his comments on the bottom of the credibility pile?

How can this be anything other than crystal clear?

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers........Al

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ali V

Good post.
Quiet isn't it.....
Silence is deafening

BH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good post and I do remember it. Am on the run at the moment so can I post a reply over the weekend please?

But quickly, more than often PH will not make any comment to me on a variety of issues becuase it may conflict with clients. Also his roster of clients shows that many are in conflict but they do not seem to have a problem. Also PH was the Presidnet of the Australian Avaition Law Society, so conflict of issue problems would be and are very much a high priority.

Re the Compass situation...I will leave that to the weekend.

Best GT

And I might take the opportunity to throw a few names into the hat for consideration.

1) Sir Peter Abeles.
2) Bob Hawke.
3) Dick Smith - At the time head of CASA.
4) John Singleton.
5) Peter Harbison.

This story has yet to emerge fully (as it inevitably will) and will be very rewarding for the professional investigative journalist willing to forsake the comfortable laziness of corporation-sponsored journalism for the truth.

There are of course risks (eg: I understand there was a Chris Masters' 4 CORNERS report on corruption within senior Qantas management - never aired). However, most of the players involved in 'Operation Sewn-Up' are no longer involved in aviation and thus the impact on the career of the journalist would be minimal. He would still of course need the facts.

Those facts ARE out there
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GT as I mentioned, I know you are busy but as somebody else mentioned, the silence is rather deafening! Hope to hear from you soon......AL

geoffrey thomas
16th Sep 2002, 04:35
Al E Vator:
I have gone back over my extensive notes on the Compass saga and it is very difficult, 11 years later to piece together the folks involved and their roles.
You mention Qantas management in the context of a four corners program but it did not involve them, it was Australian Airlines then, however I am sure you are thinking more Ansett, which would be much closer to the mark.
In fact Ansett was only weeks away from bankruptcy itself at the time, I am told.
As far as any conspiracy you may be right as far as some of the players you mention, I just really don't know.
However aside from that, what Bryan Grey was trying to do has never been done before or since successfully in the no-frills stakes.
That is, take brand new 300-seat aircraft and run them on the back of the low yield VFR market on RPT routes.
You may recall he wanted MD-80s but couldn't get them so opted for the A300, which were available.
Sorry I know this does answer your bigger picture question, which I would agree would make a good read. But I doubt it would be a commercial proposition for a journalist.
Best GT.