PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the US and CAA checking

Soggy
15th Sep 2002, 17:34
Am I correct in assuming any thoughts about hour building in the states can be put on a very cool backburner. Recent developments mean that if you fly in the states the FAA now has to get verification from the CAA about your details and will not issue a temporary airmans certificate.
I expect the CAA will charge for this (all the CAA lack is sombreros) and it will not be something that can be solved at all quickly (i reckon you are looking at about a month).

Whats all that about???

:mad: :mad:

GoneWest
15th Sep 2002, 18:56
Worse than that - the CAA says that the information required by the FAA is stored on a computer - and, under UK law, is subject to the Data Protection Act.

They do not have the authority to pass the details to the FAA.

There is also the financial aspect of which you speak....who is going to pay for the time taken for some CAA employee to glance at the computer to verify the information??

Best way to do it would be to take an FAA check ride - you should already be learning the "air law" if you want to hour build there - so do a few hours dual training (which you would need anyway) and then do the flight test - get a full FAA license.

Gin Slinger
15th Sep 2002, 20:41
Basically the CAA are behaving like the disingenuous shysters that they are.

The Data Protection act was never intended to be used in this manner. It was intended to preserve our freedom, but in this case, it's being used to restrict it.

Since time immemorial, bureaucrats have been bureaucratic - it's how they justify their existence, but with the CAA, there is also the profit making angle as well.

We're being shat on by the Campaign Against Aviation, and no doubt, as has already been mentioned, they'll use as another money making scam.

The regulator is sorely in need of regulation.

Julian
16th Sep 2002, 07:11
Soggy,

That appears to be the short n tall of it I am afraid, but there is away round it - that is if you are prepared to take the FAA PPL exams and flight test. You can then be granted an FAA PPL and not have to worry about the ICAO stuff thats going on at the moment, you do however still require a visa to undertake training in the US.

Current FAA licence holders issued on the back their JAA licence I have spoken to who are going over have just had to get a visa also so basically only affects you if you havent already applied for one.

Julian.

Soggy
16th Sep 2002, 19:11
Having already shelled out around £5k to get my JAR PPL I am likely going to go and pay out for an FAA one. Mind you it shouldnt cost what my PPL did.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to ****** off and buy my own crate with a group and fly on the seat of my pants around Scotland.

Hoots man!!:)

Facts Not Fiction Pls
17th Sep 2002, 03:21
FYI - the FAA PPL can take as little as 3 hours dual, a written test and a Flight test. The written can be taken in the UK (just get the gleim and it lists all the questions). The 3 hours dual is not wasted; either it gets you familiar or current again. You would need to do a minimum of 1-2 hours in a checkout anyway. Should you need more than 3 hours then you prob needed it;)

The time spent on the FAA test is counted as P1 therefore starting the hour building already!

The time spent on the flight test prep just makes it all fresh again which is good for any pilot!

So as you can see, all is not lost and you get another licence out of it and cheap hours:)

Julian
17th Sep 2002, 07:06
Soggy,

FNFP is right, if you go to the US you will find that they are a lot more practical about the flying side of things. You will just have to sit the writtens and do any gap filling required (i.e. the US FAA includes the night flying element) and then take the test.

Depending on the amount of hour building you intend to do State side you may find that it will actually pay to take the FAA PPL if that the only resort you have as you will make the money back in the money you save. Obviously if you are only going to do a couple of hours then I wouldnt bother, see if you can get a decent block rate in the UK instead.

Julian.

Father Mulcahy
17th Sep 2002, 10:09
What about a medical ?

I take it you'd need to get an FAA medical before the skills test.

FM

Julian
17th Sep 2002, 10:45
Yep but very cheap, I think mine worked out at about £30.
Pretty easy to pass as well, counted my arms, legs and eyes and listened to heart - thats about it!

When you are learning this becomes your 'learner licence' with endorsements (such as xwind component), signed off by the instructor on the rear of it.

Facts Not Fiction Pls
17th Sep 2002, 12:29
Julian is right -

My FAA medical cost $70.00, however you can get it in the UK at the same time as your JAA should you need to renew.