PDA

View Full Version : Joining the USAF (Beware: wannabe!)

Gingerbread Man
15th Sep 2002, 17:13
I wonder if anyone in the United States Air Force could help me out. I would like to know the procedure for joining the USAF (as a pilot) if I am a British citizen. I have heard that it has been done, but I have never found out how. I assume you must become a citizen and obtain a 'green card', but I don't know how you get this or what it is.:confused: , so any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers, Ginge:D .

(I have searched for a thread to this effect for a while, and have not found one, but if this is a recurring topic then I apologise in advance.)

ORAC
15th Sep 2002, 18:11
USAF Officer Training (http://ots.afoats.af.mil/24th%20Training%20Squadron%20Page%20Files/24ts/24TRSWebsite/Common%20Questions.htm)

Becoming a United States Citizen in the U.S. Military (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/weekly/aa062602a.htm)

Enlistment Standards (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/weekly/aa082701a.htm)

US Immigration Services (http://www.usais.org/)

Scud-U-Like
16th Sep 2002, 00:28
Simple then, Gingerbread dude:

1. Set up home in the US.

2. Enlist in the USAF.

3. Serve 3 years or fight a war.

4. Become a US citizen.

5. Get a commission.

6. Fly.

Good luck!

P.S. Forget any notion of enlisting if you're from Iran (so bad they named it twice).

Gingerbread Man
16th Sep 2002, 19:29
Thats great guys, thanks for the help. The only problem I can see is that I imagine I won't know for certain if I can attain the ultimate goal of pilot until I actually go for a commission :rolleyes: , but I suppose you don't get anywhere without taking a few chances.
Cheers, Ginge :D .

ihoharv
16th Sep 2002, 20:04
Gingerbread:

The primary difficulty is obtaining live/work authorization - the proverbial "Green Card." Without it you are not legally entitled to stay in the USA, or work, other than as a tourist, with a few non-related exceptions.

These have never doled out too liberally, and in the current climate (economic/political/security) it's more difficult than ever.

The US armed forces will not "sponsor" a foreign national for a green card, so it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing: you can't join unless you're allowed by the US government to be here, and Uncle Sam isn't handing them out too much.

I'm an expat-Brit & ex-RAF. Got my green card thru marriage and subsequently became a US citizen (one doesn't have to as the permanent green cards are just that, but I wanted my little say in things over here, so...) Most of the Brits here are green carded by marriage or other familial connections, and most of those are taking US citizenship because "you just never know" what a future administration (or even this one!) might do around green card privileges whereas it literally takes an Act of Congress to strip citizenship. Anyway, HMG allows you to keep the little red passport as well, if that's important to you.

Anyway, good luck to you. You'll end up living and working wherever you're meant to so don't sweat it.

Gingerbread Man
17th Sep 2002, 12:52
I have to admit that I don't really know how you start the ball rolling in this game. Do you just step off a plane and ask if you can stay:confused: ? It does seem remarkably difficult, but of course the end result would be worth it:D .
Is the situation any easier with the Canadian Air Force or the Australians as they are part of the commonwealth?
All things considered, it maybe less painful to make my legs shorter so that I can fit in with the RAF:rolleyes: .
Any more thoughts would be gratefully recieved. Cheers.

OFBSLF
19th Sep 2002, 15:06
Gingerbread Man:

No, you don't step off the plane and ask if you can stay -- you can't, you don't have a job and visa lined up. You won't get a Green card straight away either. Your only real hope is to get a US company to sponsor you via a H1B visa. Then, while working in the US on the H1B visa, you apply for Green card. The H1B visa lets you stay in the states while you work for that company. The Green card lets you stay in the US permanently, but does not give you citizenship.

Yes, it is not easy. Try talking to the local US consultate/embassy. I suspect the US INS web site probably has info as well.

I'd suggest that you think about this long and hard. Do you want to be an American? Are you willing to fight and die for the US? If you do wind up over here in the US armed forces, you may well be asked to do just that. Being in the US air force (or any air force, for that matter) isn't just nipping around in Gucci kit.

OFBSLF

Gingerbread Man
19th Sep 2002, 19:32
OFBSLF,
Thanks very much for the reply. Firstly, I apologise for the remark about 'stepping off a plane', it was not meant to be taken seriously and i knew settling in the States would involve a lot more than that.
Make no mistake, this is not a decision I would rush into without careful thought. I have four years of university ahead of me (hopefully :( ) in which I can assess my options for the future, and I was just trying to see if being a military pilot was still a realistic option.
I can't pretend I know what it is like to live in the United States, but from what I have experienced of it, it seems like a wonderful country, and one that I would be proud to defend and call my home, given the opportunity :) .
As for your last point, I am aware of the responsibilty involved in being a member of any armed forces. I had thought for a long time about whether I wanted to join the RAF. The ambition to fly had always been there, but I had to seriously think of the implications of flying for the military when I applied for OASC (Officer & Aircrew Selection Centre). I would be prepared to put my life on the line to protect the people I care about and to protect the national interests of my country, wherever they/that may eventually be, and I would never dream of doing such a serious job just because it sounded like fun.
Thanks again for replying and anything else anyone has to say would be appreciated.
Cheers, Ginge :D .

BEagle
20th Sep 2002, 07:47
OFBSLF - perhaps it won't be just Yanks who may have to 'fight and to die for the US' if George Dubya doesn't stop behaving like some B-movie cowboy......

"Hell - ah jus wanna' finish wha' ma pappy don' bin' startin'.... Git ma hoss saddled up an' we'll all go a-kickin' us some Eye-raqi butt. Yessireebob. Yeeee-haaaaw"

Do tell him to think first, talk second and act third......

Gingerbread Man
20th Sep 2002, 08:39
Some wise words Mr BEagle, thank you. There is the comfort that the administration will probably have changed by the time I get over the other side of the pond (if I ever do).
Any more thoughts welcome, although I don't wish to draw any more anti CINC Bush posts because I risk angering our American friends :) .
Your's (but not literally), Ginger :D .