PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe Q's

silverjs
14th Sep 2002, 23:06
Hello everyone,

First off, I'd like to say thanks for reading this, I appreciate it. Please bear with me, I'll give context before asking my questions.

I am a Canadian with a burning desire to fly fast jet. It's all I've ever wanted to do. I have applied for pilot in the Canadian Forces but am not exactly holding my breath as they are taking in only four (4!!!) on the November board. I think delays because of the NFTC switch are to blame, but anyways. To demonstrate my motivation, even in the face of such odds, I have undertaken my Private Pilot's Licence, at my expense (about 8-9K CDN), and I should have it by mid-October.

So, I have applied to the RAF. I actually started the application process for the RAF BEFORE the CF, because I didn't think my vision was good enough for pilot. It turns out that, by some miracle, I passed the CF vision test. I have applied for WSO in the RAF, and also for pilot. Of course, I was asked to return a completed vision test before my application would be processed any further. My results? 20/20-1 both eyes, -.25 both eyes. Pilot was thus effectively shut down for the RAF, but WSO was not.

Another reason pilot was shut down was because of my age. I will turn 24 on November 9th, making me too old for pilot. HOWEVER, there was a five-month communication hiatus between me and the RAF between March and August, at which point I was told that due to a change in procedure, I had to re-fill my medical and vision questionnaires.

So, my questions :

1. How does the vision test work at Cranwell? Do they measure the "sphere" (please pardon my lack of technical knowledge) or only the vision per se? I MIGHT get lucky if they only measure vision;

2. Assuming (again) I pass vision, is there any chance that I could build a case for my age, arguing that events out of my control (procedural change) made it so that my application was now too late for pilot?

3. I have recently learned, through this board, that another avenue would be to consider the Royal Navy, which I am definitely prepared to do. I am within their vision standards (assuming the info posted on the board is correct), but apparently, Commonwealth citizens are not allowed in the pilot branch. However, the web site does specifically say that waivers of the nationality requirements may be considered on a case-by-case basis, based on the merits of the individual. So my question is : how does one go about obtaining such a waiver? What do the evaluators like to see?

Many thanks to everyone; if you have any tips or ideas, I will be eternally grateful.

Jackonicko
14th Sep 2002, 23:15
Does someone want to tell him vision standards and age limits for AAC? He sounds keen as mustard!

Wholigan
14th Sep 2002, 23:42
Sorry Jacko me old mate, but not many fast-jets in the AAC!!

Prime choice!

:D ;)

Mach2
15th Sep 2002, 15:38
Sorry to be the bearer of what you'll probly call bad news.
Firstly, the eye tests for aircrew at OASC are probably the most stringent you will come across. Secondly, the age limits for RAF pilot selection are adhered to quite strictly. They get many more applications than there are slots, so they can pick and choose those they see as the best candidates- they don't need to bend the rules to reach the target numbers:(

Hertz Van Rental
15th Sep 2002, 22:57
I think Jacko's point about the AAC is valid. This chap has sensibly recognised that he may have to compromise on his dream of being an FJ pilot and has also applied for WSO. Flashing around the battlefield in an Apache may also be a compromise, but let's face it - it's not a bad one.

silverjs
15th Sep 2002, 23:12
OK,

Thanks for the replies - so what exactly are the eye vision and age standards for AAC, in that case? I have applied to the RN, and AAC is right around the corner if they'll let me in.

AllTrimDoubt
16th Sep 2002, 06:37
I think the RN will look most favourably on your drive and desire to fly thus far. Your age is a little steep for FJ but we've made exceptions in the past ...

Don't worry re Canadian...we've got F&C already....

Good luck!

ScopeDope
16th Sep 2002, 09:55
Bit off topic but.

How long before we see someone complain thier being discriminated against due to this eyesight thing.

There has been a lot of discussion on here re the surgery thing and I know for a fact that a private doctor in Harley Street has been approached with a view to questioning the RAF position on Laser Surgery.

IIRC I understand the USAF is looking at the whole issue again.

If this chap has had his prospects of a career he really wanted curtailed by an unsympathetic Air Force would he have a case against them.

I do not mean to be provocative, just stimulating thought.

AirfixPilot
16th Sep 2002, 13:01
As far as I was aware, the eyesight limit for RAF Pilot or Nav was 0.75 dioptres maximum spherical correction in either eye. Don't know about astigmatism levels cause I don't have an astigmatism!

AAC is -1.25. However, it's all beginning to run out of my brain as I'm still bu66ered @ 1.50 dioptres, so I didn't really care.

Thinking about it, it may be AAC -0.75 and RAF -0.25.

Don't know about the Navy. After all, why would I want to go and join an outfit like that!!! :D

If you're really keen to find out, give the guys at OASC a call, and they'll be able to give you the current figures.

Moving on to the laser surgery point, I don't think I could try and sue the RAF for not letting me in because I wear glasses. I'm proud of the service and couldn't try and legally 'do' them for what is a very logical decision.

However, this doesn't mean I'm not gutted when I sit in on the Monday morning brief at a 'large helicopter station' down south, only to see about a dozen aircrew in there with glasses on so they can see the projector screen. But after all, they're in and I'm not. I'm just hoping they might be considerate to a branch change application if they do start letting LASIK patients in in the future. Anyone want a guinea pig???

In the words of someone in the know - "Never be the first to try a new medicine (ref LASIK), but never be the last..."

I just hope I'm not old and un-coordinated (or is that incontinent?)when this time comes.