PDA

View Full Version : "Diaries of the Falklands Conflict"

Smoketoomuch
14th Sep 2002, 14:25
May be of interest.

"Published for the very first time, this is the story of No 1 (Fighter) Squadron during Operation Corporate."

also;

"The diary is reproduced exactly as written by Sqd Ldr James' in order to best communicate the situation the personnel of No 195(A) Composite Squadron found themselves in on arrival on Ascension Island."

http://www.raf.mod.uk/falklands/diary.html

canberra
14th Sep 2002, 17:20
i only have one complaint about the roll of honour. why is there one for the army and one for the parachute regiment, surely the parachute regiment is part of the army?

Zoom
14th Sep 2002, 17:41
This makes excellent reading; it's difficult to believe that it all happened over 20 years ago. I do hope that 'jointery' has improved in that time.

Art Field
15th Sep 2002, 09:00
Ex Victor Corporate folk might like to look at the photos at the bottom of Mel James's diary for 27/30 April for a reminder of the chaotic pan on Wideawake. The whole of his diary is well worth reading.

kbf1
16th Sep 2002, 18:17
On the issue of diaries from the Falklands, there is a book, which is sadly out of print, which is a real heart-rending read. It is called "A Message from the Falklands: the life and gallant death of Lt David Tinker RN" which is a compilation of his letters to his wife and parents and was edited by his father, Hugh Tinker. I have found it in my local library, and if anyone can find it and wants to read about the emotions which came with the build-up to the fighting, I can't recommend this book enough.

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Sep 2002, 19:11
I have the uptmost pleasure and privilege to regularly share a flightdeck with Flt Lt (retired) John Rochfort who piloted one of the first quartet of 1Sqn Harriers Southwards.

John will only ever tell one of his stories modestly and when pressed. When he does - its worth listening!