PDA

View Full Version : Pprune page expiry when posting?

Cornish Jack
14th Sep 2002, 08:57
Recent attempts to post on Pprune have resulted in a message about 'page expiry' and the need to refresh and re-send the message in order to return to the forum. Pushing the refresh button generates the flood control message. Eventually getting back to the forum reveals that the message has been sent and received. WTHIH??? - please. :( :eek:

What_does_this_button_do?
14th Sep 2002, 19:34
At a guess I would say it was one of two things:

1. What version of browser are you using. I am wondering if your Java version is out of date.

2. What firewall are you running?

B

Cornish Jack
17th Sep 2002, 18:47
Thank you WDTBD
1. Don't have a firewall
2. Don't know about the Java version - it's whatever is incorporated in the dreaded AOL 7! :rolleyes:
Have just completed yet another complete FDISK and re-install so I'll see if it makes any difference but I'm not hopeful :confused:

PS - Nope! same thing happened again.

PPRuNe Towers
17th Sep 2002, 22:42
UK lunch hour?? Could just be server load.

Rob

Cornish Jack
18th Sep 2002, 14:54
Thanks Rob
Could be, but it's one hell of a lunchtime - even by UK standards ! :D
Have just downloaded and installed IE 6.1 and no change. The same thing happens on my other desktop with totally different components including the modem AND using a different ISP. I think I feel a headache coming on - time to lie down again. :)

PPRuNe Towers
19th Sep 2002, 13:46
Interesting to see if any others have had similar problems. I'm 56K dialup from dodgy hotel lines and I've never had any lack of response when posting or writing to the system. As you can imagine I do it a lot even if it isn't visible to the average punter. If I was in your position I'd plug in another computer/laptop and see what happens.

Is this unique to your setup or would ping and trace utilities show it to be your line, ISP or most regular router?

And anyway - we will cry bitter tears if it's time to upgrade the system again - it was only bloody April y'know.

Rob

Cornish Jack
23rd Sep 2002, 18:40
Thanks again Rob
Yes, the problem is almost certainly at this end - it's the same with both of my desktops and they use totally separate components and modems. AOL don't seem to have any clues - nothing new there then ;) . It would be nice to know exactly where the fault lies but I reckon any combination of Redmond software and AOL interaction is doomed to be 'iffy'. :)

nasib
24th Sep 2002, 19:29
Are you using the "back" arrow after posting a message?

I get the expired page message after posting and using the "back" arrow. All I do is use it 2 more times and I am back were I was in the forum with my sent message at the end.

Cornish Jack
25th Sep 2002, 18:02
Yes Nasib, that's what happens - most of the time. Unfortunately, from time to time, there is NO response to ANY mouse selection until it has been repeated anything up to fifty times! Given the increase in litigation, do you think I ought to try suing Danny for inducing RSI in my mouse finger? :D

nasib
25th Sep 2002, 18:58
Worth a try...:rolleyes: