PDA

View Full Version : Best choice for getting to Jerez, Spain

blackknight
29th Dec 2001, 23:15
Hi guys and gals, I am going to be starting my ATPL out in Jerez in April '02. And have started looking at various ways of getting me and my belongings there with the least possible hassle. At the moment it would seem I can either fly London Gatwick-Barcelona-Jerez. Or I can fly easyjet to Malaga, then use a rentacar to Jerez, Hertz do a good deal for £51 all inc. If anyone can offer some advice I would be very grateful.

BK

Capt Wannabe
29th Dec 2001, 23:38
Best bet if you can get it is to fly form STN with Buzz as they fly direct to Jerez.
There are various other options :
- Iberia or BA from LHR to MAD then change - Can be pricey, but can also be VERY cheap - normally cheaper with Iberia than BA
- BA from LGW or LHR to Sevilla. This involves about a forty minute drive once you get there, but I think BAE can arrange for you to be picked up.
- Get a cheap flight to MAD with Easy or Go or somone like that, then book an internal flight with Iberia down to Jerez. Bit of a pain, especialy if you have a lot of luggage.
- Malaga is OK, although the drive is a bit of a pain.
- Thre are sometimes some very cheap deals to GIB with Monarch
- Drive. Chances are you will want a car down there.

If you want, email me

BEagle
30th Dec 2001, 02:22
Not an advert - just information but buzz still have seats available on Saturday 30 Mar 02 from Stansted to Jerez, leaving at 1415, for £70. After then there seems to be a timetable change - have a search on <a href="http://www.buzzaway.com/" target="_blank">http://www.buzzaway.com/</a> for other dates/times. For example, a one-way trip on Sat 20 Apr 02 is still available at £50 - but the flight leaves STN at 0805, so you'd need to check-in at 0605 at the latest!!

Presumably there'll be a group of you starting on the same day (22 Apr 02??)? Why not organise a group travel booking??

Best of luck with your course - and future employment!!

[ 29 December 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]</p>

kepor
1st Jun 2004, 21:38
has anyone done the drive from Malaga? How long are you looking at in the car?

peb
1st Jun 2004, 22:54
kepor You will do around 2:20 mins.

machonepointone
2nd Jun 2004, 05:53
The best and easiest way these days is Ryanair. They do at least one flight a day direct from Stansted and depending on when you book the fares can be ridiculously low.

Usual disclaimers

Straightandlevel80kt
2nd Jun 2004, 11:03
Why not ask Jerez to book it and pay for it for you?

Ally Minium
2nd Jun 2004, 12:43
GB airways do "special" rates for Jerez students from Gatwick to Seville - give sales/admin a call at FTE.

grafity
3rd Jun 2004, 13:19
I'm not sure of your age but I think you have to be 25 to rent a car in spain.

peb
3rd Jun 2004, 14:01
grafity Im afreid that you are wrong. The age minimun depends on the company. I think that grafity was thinking in Herz that you need to be 25. Other comapanys will ask for people with one year licence and 20 years old.

:ok:

NW3
3rd Jun 2004, 16:41
Does anyone know anything about driving a car down there (from the UK)? I guess I'd have to insure it here, but are there any legal issues with having a car in Europe for more than a year?

Many thanks

NW3

Straightandlevel80kt
3rd Jun 2004, 19:21
Again, have a chat with FTE, as it's a common question they're used to answering.

I hear there's a local bloke who will sell you a car at the start of your course for maybe £1000, and will guarantee to buy it back off you at the end for £500.

There are a couple of issues regarding UK registered cars after about 6 months out there, but nothing more than sorting a bit of paperwork. It seems the best bet is to get a banger out there and check with FTE and the local Jerez Police to see what paperwork you might need.

kepor
6th Jun 2004, 22:54
peb,

What route would you take from Malaga?
Thanks.

Ally Minium
7th Jun 2004, 12:32
A chap called "Blas" at the local Ford dealer (Jerez Ford) will sell you a car and give you a guranteed buyback figure.

You can drive all the way down from the UK - I did it and the Welfare Officer at Jerez (Ann) has a handout that I wrote for her on doing so.

You can run your car on UK insurance for the time you are out there - not strictly legit but good enough. Go to www.surinenglish.com and search the classified section for insurance (I used a firm called Seviour - very helpful, run by an English chap and his daughter).

If you run your UK car out there you will either have to drive it back to the UK for an MOT or get a local ITV test done (as long as the insurance company are happy - ask your agent).

From Malaga there are basically 2 ways. Easiest navigation is along the coast road to Algeciras and then north passing by (but not through) Cadiz.

or the quickest is to go north out of Malaga to Antequera and then west via Villa Martin and Arcos to Jerez. Once you reach Jerez, just follow the signs to the airport.

If you decide to nightstop in Spain en-route, remember that any "Hotel" with lots of neon lighting and the word "Club" prominently displayed is probably a brothel (there is one at the airport, too!).

Petrol in Spain is cheap (about 55p/l) and diesel even cheaper. Gribraltar is cheaper still - especially if you spend lots of money in Safeway and get the discount.

peb
7th Jun 2004, 13:25
kepor I would go from Malaga to los Barrios ( just before Aljeciras) and then I would take "La ruta del toro" and that will take yo to Jerez.

:ok: