PDA

View Full Version : Alergies and Commercial Aviation

ccpilot
13th Sep 2002, 20:18
I suffer from sometimes severe allgeries in the last few months of the summer every year. So far it hasn't shown up on my medicals as I take it in the winter when pollination has finished. I know the CAF doesn't look well upon allergies, however, does anyone know what my prospects would be like with airlines? especially around the world as far as renewing my medical is concerned. I have class 1 and commercial license. I am looking into the seasonal shots which will clear me for the season.

Thanks

"When you have flown you will forever walk with your eyes to the sky because that is where you have been and that is where you long to return."

Da Vinci

QDMQDMQDM
13th Sep 2002, 21:55
I am looking into the seasonal shots which will clear me for the season.

Those are steroids and worth avoiding, I'd say. Try the new generation, 'non-sedating' antihistamines such as cetirizine or fexofenadine or desloratadine, if these are allowed by your licencing authority.

QDM

ccpilot
14th Sep 2002, 01:23
Thanks for you assistance. I am interested to see if that medication is allowed by Transport Canada.

HugMistress
17th Sep 2002, 14:23
If you are concerned about how your tendency to have allergic reactions may affect your performance I would suggest that you consult your doctor to obtain the best advice on treatment. He/she will be in a better postion to assess the most appropriate course of treatment and will prescribe, if appropriate, the best medication for your needs. If your symptoms have changed recently then it is best to seek medical advice so that the cause can be identified.

Hope this helps