PDA

View Full Version : Septembers Instrument exam

flipper
13th Sep 2002, 13:26
Could any of you lovely people give me a few pointers as to what came up in Septembers JAR Instuments paper. Im up to my third attempt and have been hitting the Oxford feedback big style. When I last took it in June it was quite big into GPWS, TCAS Tacho Gennys, Dielectric of fuel. How did the exam seem this time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
flipper

Field In Sight
13th Sep 2002, 13:37
I did the Oxford brushup course about 5 months ago for my Phase I set of exams. Instruments was my lowest mark (88%) which was still reasonably good.

The feedback is great, but have you thought about going on the day refresher. I found the brushup course incredibly worthwhile.

Considering that you have only 2 more sittings for this exam, I think it would be a good investment. I wouldn't want to be in the position to pass on the 4th attempt of any subject.

BTW what other subjects have you passed that include the following that I still have got to sit in November.
Air Law,
Op Procs.
Gen Nav
Flight Planning.
Met.
Radio Nav.

I'm mostly concerned with Gen Nav & Met, what has been your experience?

But anyway, I wish you all the best in the exams.

flipper
13th Sep 2002, 13:52
Field in Sight,
Thanks for the advice, I have got Mass and Balance ,Flight Planning, Performance and Instruments to box off. I have sent you a message and if I can help in any way with your outstanding subjects just email me. Cheers flipper.:)

Father Mulcahy
13th Sep 2002, 17:26
Flipper,

Sept's Instruments exam.

3 Questions on Tachogenerators - descriptions on how DC,AC,3-phase AC and phonic wheel all works.

Pretty basic Gyro stuff. Number of degrees of freedom and spin axis's for various instruments.

Couple of Temp questions, but no compressibility stuff (not 110% sure on that though, memory a bit rusty !"£)

GPWS questions seemed really all to do with Mode 3 - "Don't sink", when is it activated, when does it deactivate that sort of stuff.

TCAS - proximate traffic, other traffic symbos etc, I think range may of been one question.

Fuel Contents gauging - capacitance system details/Mass flow indicators (i.e. what do modern aircraft use to measure fuel flow type question).

Stall Warning System - inputs.

Flight Data Recorders, 2 questions, one aircraft MTOM greater than 5700kg, one less - each asked times for FDR & CVR recording.

Synchroscope - What does it do.

Yaw Damping - type of gyro used. Not too much on autoflight though.

EFIS/ECAM etc... a few general questions.

Compasses - turning errors, accelerating on a agonic line in the southern hemisphere pointing south type stuff.

Can't remember much more. Sorry can't be a bit more specific.

Field In Sight,

Sept Gen Nav. PLENTY CRP-5 work, wind side stuff coming out of your ears. Maybe 5 - 10 questions plotting on E/LO1 around about CORK VOR. No Polar Stereos, maybe a couple of Great circle/rhumb line stuff. A few questions on the various projections, i.e. where is scale constant on a lamberts type stuff. 1 basic scale question, no mercator scale stuff.

Sept Met, pretty light on the ol' climatology, really just reinforcing the basic's. Lapse rates, frontal weather, a lot of jet stream stuff (position of on the globe and CAT associated with).

Best of Luck...

FM

flipper
16th Sep 2002, 09:47
Father M,
You have been blessed with a wonderous memory!-seriously thanks for the pointers much appreciated.
flipper