PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

chippy63
13th Sep 2002, 11:25
Lovely sight a few minutes ago- BBMF flew overhead east of Winchester heading northish, followed by a C-47. I saw them heading south a few days ago, I wonder if they were going to the Jersey Air Display?:)

newswatcher
13th Sep 2002, 13:40
Any possibility that they were displaying for the Southampton Boat Show, which opened at 11:00hrs this morning?

Actually they were down for Jersey and Guernsey on the 12th, to be followed by Leuchars on the 14th, and Morecambe and Elvington on the 15th.

:) :)

You want it when?
13th Sep 2002, 14:42
Seen the Lancaster quite a few times on a Sunday morning / evening going North or South. sometimes with the Spitfire and Hurricane but more often without. What height does it cruise at? Seems to me it must be around 2,500 - 3,000. West Milton Keynes BTW.

DamienB
13th Sep 2002, 16:00
C-47 came back my way (Rushden) at 13:30 so not off to Jersey...

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/c47.jpg

Back in the Barrel
13th Sep 2002, 23:59
Great Flypast by a Spitfire and Hurricane last evening at the Officers' Mess Battle of Britain Dining-In Night at Waddo. It doesn't matter how often you see, hear and feel it, I defy anyone not to feel the hairs on the back of their necks stand up. Fab.

mutleyfour
14th Sep 2002, 11:05
Agreed, there nothing quite like the noise of the Merlin engine roaring overhead!

Saw the mark 19 spitfire at farnborough Airshow which doesn't have the Merlin and it just wasn't the same.

If I could have any job, it would have to the BOB Memorial flight, flying either the Spit or the Hurricane, I'm not fussy!

:D

Downwind.Maddl-Land
15th Sep 2002, 11:42
Couldn't agree more! Wonderful sight and sound.

In a previous life as a SATCO (if that's a life!), once got a noise complaint about the Lanc from some witch who had just moved to house half a mile off the end of one of our RWs! The Lanc, in transit, had been requested to route overhead for traffic separation (!) and had, of course, obliged at about 250 ft. Should have heard her really start bitching when Flying Training started again, the station crews having been briefed appropriately.

Long may the BBMF continue to produce lumps in throats.

wheelie-bin-there
20th Sep 2002, 18:52
The Lanc, Spitfire, Huirricane & Dac all took part in the Jersey International Air Day on Thursday last week, I know cos I was parked up next to them! Got to have a look round the old girl, quite amazed at how cramped she is inside. Bloody good display as well, fantastic weather and those merlins purred all day!:)

teeteringhead
21st Sep 2002, 07:18
w-b-t

Are these (http://www.aircentre.com.au/aircraft/warbirds/mustang/sound.htm) the sounds you mean?