PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for US Hour Building?

capt_kangeroo
26th Jan 2001, 15:07
As a wannabee and new to PPrune, I'd like some advice please! I need to build 50 hours and the US seems to be the cheapest options.

Does anyone have any recommendations. AAA is San Diego have been recommended but all comments gratefully received.

Ta

taildragger2
26th Jan 2001, 16:40
Try Sunn aviation at Vero beach FL. I was out there and didd 100 hrs block eith them for $45 per hour wet! OK it was an under-powered C150 but its hours. Get back to me if you want a few other suggestions or contact numbers, I've seen both the good and bad out there...........Tailwinds.........TD

Jimmy Mack
26th Jan 2001, 16:47
I went to ADP in Southern California.
Loads of dramatic high flying and interesting terrain. Good experience.

Got 100 hours done in 3 weeks, so you shouldn't have a problem.

http://www.adp-flight.com

foghorn
26th Jan 2001, 16:56
Hi capt kangeroo,

The US is indeed cheap and GA-friendly, but if you're looking for an alternative to the US, try South Africa. Cost of living much less than the US, and you can hire Traumahawks at around the R340 ph mark (at R11.50 to the pound this is good value!)

Fabulous scenery, good people, good wine... it's a winner. E-mail me if you want more info.

EX FTE
26th Jan 2001, 21:41
Evening all!

I did little hours building over in Florida last year at Orlando Flight Training. they are tied up with Cabair in the UK but I just pitched up as a PPL holder on spec and said 'give us an aircraft'

The attraction of Orlando is that it is cheap to get to (99quid on airtours!!), its cheap to stay there $35 a night at the Comfort Inn), and when your butt gets sore from flying or you want a distraction - there is loads to do!!

On the downside/upside depending on your viewpoint - the airspace is very busy!! Keep a damn good look out!!

A and C
26th Jan 2001, 21:56
Do as much night flying as you can, its very E-Z in the states and it is the thing that most people are short of when it comes time to get the ATPL issued.

Grandad Flyer
27th Jan 2001, 02:00
Captain Kangaroo, e-mail me if you want some first hand info on both AAA and ADP. I can certainly recommend both. AAA is 20 miles east of San Diego, out the way of any morning marine layer if you are going out in May/June time. ADP are further north, east of LA. Its all busy airspace and fabulous scenery. You will have no problem finding fabulous places to go in your 50 hours. Take advantage of all the US has to offer. Free landing fees, friendly welcome to small aircraft at big airports, nil instrument approach fees, night flying with no additional rental or landing charges, pilot operated lighting.
I've done loads of hours over there. Its only 2-3 hours longer on the plane then Florida and prices are very good at the moment, cĢ280 with BA I believe.

Mr Magoo
27th Jan 2001, 03:21
Just got back from a fortnight at OFT doing an IMC multi and night rating. Got the lot no probs - a bit over advertised budget though so beware of "headline" prices.

The PA28s are great (6 months old) the C172s are even better (6 weeks old).

Cheap accom in the Sheraton a mile away at $35 a night.

Also the rest of the US was getting really cr*p weather but good ole FL was fine at this time of year.

Magoo

ChampagneSupernova
27th Jan 2001, 03:30
PanAm International Flight Academy is professional, but unfortunately me and my other JAA aspiring ATPL's are suffering from overcrowding and lack of available aircraft at the moment!
Its a nice place but its letting its self down by have no bloody aircraft available, we keep getting excuses but no answers.
Anyway in 6mths or a year and a load new aircraft it'll probably be one of the best schools around, but not at the Moment!!!!!

------------------
Do you Believe??

Bear Cub
27th Jan 2001, 05:13
Mr Magoo....did you read these two messages from Rolling Circle?

rolling circle
PPRuNe Flight Deck Qualified
posted 16 January 2001 22:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may complete the MEP and night at any school approved for those courses. As of 31 December 2000, according to the CAA list of approved organisations, only the following are approved:
International Flight Training Academy
Naples Air Center
PanAm Flight Training Academy

No other school in the US is currently approved for the MEP

rolling circle
PPRuNe Flight Deck Qualified
posted 19 January 2001 10:48
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I called the CAA last week and was told that, during the changeover to JAA, they have been accepting training at schools which were in course of approval. They also said that from 31 Jan 2001 this will cease and, unless you trained at a school on the approved list, you will not get the rating issued.
Orlando Flight Training are not on the current approved list and, unless they can show you their approval certificate (or a photocopy thereof), I would be very careful about training there.

Mr Magoo
27th Jan 2001, 15:23
I'm pretty sure that the approval is close for OFT - good point though if you're thinking of going there it would be wise to get Giles to fax you a copy of the certificate1.

I finished my stuff before the end of Jan (obviously!) so should be OK. The worst bit is paying the CAA Ģ64 times three for the ratings - in my mind an appaling ripoff seeing as they will do all 3 at the same time.

mad-andy
27th Jan 2001, 16:11
If its any use to you I was in San diego about 2 years ago having a tour around as you do.I landed at Gillespie Field where AAA are based.Popped in and had a chat,flew back to ******* and did the rest of my hour building with AAA.To me anyway , I thought it was great,own appartments and close to the school,they even gave me a free mountain bike to get too and throw.The owner came from Maidstone in Kent which is pretty close to where I live.I don`t know if this was a reason for me staying there but he didn`t want anything up front and as I remember I didn`t pay for any of the flying or accom until the day I left.Anyway thought I`d let you know of my experience with AAA they where to me one of the few good ones as I have been to a few over there and some places I have been the aircraft didn`t get pass the walk round so be careful its your money.Oh,I nearly forgot Tijuana,I must have led a sheltered life,but my eyes have now returned to their rightful place.
You can E-mail me if you wish if you have any questions.

ZAZOO
27th Jan 2001, 20:00
Capt_Kangaroo,

Also went to A.A.A., about 3 years ago and like mad-andy had a swell time, and unlike other schools provide you with very good accomodation at the majestic apartments.

Excellent enviroment to go flying and hour building, Gillespie airports location also makes it a good homebase for touring in the california, Arizona and Nevada area.

Regards
Zazoo

thefridge
28th Jan 2001, 01:49
Hi Capt_Kangeroo

Completed 55 hours building in Florida last April, some 30 hours in Cessnas 150/152 and 25 hours in PA28's.

Have sent some details of the experience to 6 pprunes from a previous post.

Went to some great places. Was based at OBA near Daytona for nearly 3 weeks. As this appears to be a sensitive area please e-mail me for the article if you are interested, as it runs to a couple of pages.

Let me know what you which way you jump as I am thinking of going out again this year.

Hatches Closed, Harness Tight
Get ready to Excite :) :) :)

cygnet623
28th Jan 2001, 04:24
I too went to AAA, twice in fact, last time about 2 years ago. The first time everything the way it was supposed to be, but the second time we had lots of trouble getting availability of aircraft...they are very busy and you should make arrangements to make sure YOU will always have an aircraft available...otherwise you can spend the entire day waiting for one to be available and it is especially frustrating if you are on a tight schedule! Gillespie is a great airport and itīs close enough to the nice places without it being too busy...donīt know what the rates are like these days but if you give them a call they have package deals which include accomodation too, not a bad setup at all.

capt_kangeroo
31st Jan 2001, 14:32
Thanks everyone!

Some great advice here, very much appreciated.

Cardinal Puff
31st Jan 2001, 16:44
Foghorn's right. South Africa may be a good option and is definitely cheaper to live in than the USA. We also speak real English (some of us, anyway) and know how to spell... (ducks...INCOMING!!).

If you need info about somewhere close to game parks, Sun City, mineral springs and reasonably cheap please leave an email address where I can contact you.

[This message has been edited by Cardinal Puff (edited 31 January 2001).]

Token Bird
31st Jan 2001, 18:04
Dear people,

If you are going to refer to a flight school could you please call it by full name, not acronym, as it makes it easier to find on the internet.

Could anyone tell me what AAA and OBA stand for?

Token Bird

Princess PP
31st Jan 2001, 18:27
AAA is "Anglo-American Aviation"... www.flyaaa.com (http://www.flyaaa.com) and OBA is "Ormond Beach Aviation"... [email protected]

The Woo
3rd Feb 2001, 07:19
I am at Anglo American. Right now the weather is perfect. As a place to fly, I rate southern California as one of the best in the world. Gillespie (KSEE) has Class D airspace (Tower), there are three runways and a mountain inside the right traffic pattern, which is nice. KSEE is next the busier Montgomery Field (KMYF), and MCAS Miramar which is full of F-18's and CH-53’s. There is lots of Class B if you want things to get more exiting. Fly 45 minutes north and you’re at KLAX, which is good if you want some ATC pressure. Within 30 minutes of KSEE are the Pacific Ocean, rolling green hills, sharp jagged mountains up to 6500ft, flat sand desert below sea level and rocky desert mountains as seen in Top Gun. Palm Springs is an hour and a bit away behind an 11,000ft mountain and Las Vegas can be reached in only a few hours flight time.

Anglo American is functional and friendly and will provide accommodation, good prices, and a social life. They have PA-28’s (151,161, 200R), C-152’s a PA-44, and a C-172.