PDA

View Full Version : Perth to Bali via Paradise

Wirraway
12th Sep 2002, 20:07
Fri "Australian Financial Review"

Perth to Bali via Paradise
Sep 13
Peter Klinger

The first dedicated Australia-Bali tourist airline expects to take off at the end of next month, servicing the Perth and Melbourne markets.

The owner of Air Paradise International, wealthy Balinese businessman Kadek Wiranatha, expects to operate four weekly flights from Perth to Denpasar and three weekly flights leaving Melbourne.

Air Paradise will also run three weekly flights between Denpasar, Bali's capital, and Jakarta.

Mr Wiranatha, who owns a number of tourist destinations in Bali, wants to cash in on the lack of direct flights from Australia to the Indonesian holiday province.

Air Paradise has leased a former Singapore Airlines A310-300 aircraft, with a second aircraft expected to join in December.

In Perth yesterday to promote the fledgling airline, general manager Barry Hess was reluctant to specify forecasts other than to reject suggestions Air Paradise's fare structure would lead to a price war.

He said the airline could achieve what he said was an industry break-even scenario of 65 per cent occupancy on flights, while an initial 10 per cent gross operating margin was also feasible.

"I would suggest we'd be break-even within two years; obviously that's all about image-building and confidence-building," he said.

Part of Air Paradise's strategy will be to offer direct flights during daylight hours to and from the holiday island, with a vast majority of flights part of travel packages.

Mr Hess pointed to an undersupply of seat capacity to Bali, as evidenced by long waiting lists out of Melbourne, and national carriers Qantas and Garuda Indonesia's focus on other routes.

Mr Hess said financial benefits as a result of being based in Bali would help the airline, although he said operating costs would be minimal.

The leasing fees for the two planes are likely to be less than $10 million, and services such as ground-handling, terminal operation, maintenance and technical support will be outsourced.

Taildragger
12th Sep 2002, 21:18
Phew.!! For a moment I thought you meant PER-DPS via POM.
I shall wake up screaming tonight now, you realise that.??

D.Lamination
12th Sep 2002, 23:24
This airline has been certified as safe by according to the high and incorruptible standards of the Indonesian CAA.

:eek:

Reminds me of the old 80's hit by Cindy Lauper:

It's Merparti and I'll die if I want to!

OzExpat
13th Sep 2002, 11:38
Great minds think alike TD ... wonder why? :eek:

topend3
15th Sep 2002, 02:49
what about darwin?anyone know if they are gonna fly to darwin???

I'm with stupid
17th Sep 2002, 01:26
Topend3, you'd better hope not :eek:

topend3
17th Sep 2002, 04:46
and why would that be stupid????

D.Lamination
17th Sep 2002, 08:43
:confused:

Their form remains to be seen but generally speaking Indonesian airlines are a danger to the houses they fly over - thats why!

Eastwest Loco
19th Sep 2002, 11:05
DL

Let me give you a for example or two.

11 years ago GA - the alleged flag carrier - was operating A300-600'S into Oz - they were leases from a South American carrier and carried a local chimp as F/E.

One blew an O ring on the GE about 2 hours out of ADL - continued in on one and landed safely.

GE powerplant was different to Aussie A300-B4 GEs so no part available anywhere. As it would have to be flown in chimp decided to fix the O ring (in the hot section of turbine) with wire and silastic.

AN engineers said no way Jose (literally too) but he tried. The engine started perfectly but the manufactured O ring blew in seconds and a lovely plume of flame ensued.

example 2:

We handle a lot of the surfing pros, and on occasion the have the misfortune to have to compete in the Mentawi Islands off North Sumatra.

The airline servicing the island of Nias is SMAC air - apt no?

I have had one client ground looped in a CASA - came in too high and it was either ground loop or jungle and another on a venerable F27 who notice the starboard prop stop - nothing unusual there - but no notification and no exit forward as the front exit was blocked by surfboard coffins. Returned to Medan OK and another monkey replaced the faulty part and the nervous lot flew of again.

Offloaded succesfully at Gunung Satoli but on the return journey the other engine failed.

Aeroplane parked forever now.

Also in their darker days GA would always send their least serviceable A/C to Aus as they knew the QF LAMEs would have to fix it rather than sign it out U/S. Multiple shagged wheel bearings a regular thing for one.

Lastly:

TN Load controllers in SYD were regularly confronted in the DC10 days with an aeroplane loaded to MBRW and a late load of 10000kg of frozen beef arriving and being accepted by the skipper. The DC10 is a wonderful beast, but a failure on climbout would have caused a great deal of paperwork.

Best all

EWL