PDA

View Full Version : JAR FCL-1 & Turbine Rating help Please

DiverDriver
12th Sep 2002, 18:54
Hi all, thankfully just finished my CPL :) :) and now looking to add a single engine turbine type rating to my licence to try and broaden my opportunities in respect of parachute flying. I have tried the CAA by phone and their web site and told to view JAR FCL-1. Unfortunately not much luck finding said document. Does anyone have a direct link or alternatively could anyone tell me what is required in order to gain a single engine turbine rating. Does such a general rating exist or are such ratings type specific. Thanks for any advice/help in advance. DD

Stan Evil
12th Sep 2002, 20:19
Look at the Appendices to Section F of this

http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/38/19/381978/381978.pdf

SET ratings are not generic but most are classes related to a manufacturer such as Cessna SET for the Caravan and Pilatus SET for the Turbo Porter. If you pick the SET class that you want then you need to find an instructor to teach you to fly the aircraft and a CRE to examine you. The rating will be valid for 2 years. If you pick a SET type (like the Malibu Turbine or PC-12) then you'll need to find a TRTO (type rating training organisation) and follow an approved course to gain a type rating which will be valid for 1 year. In both cases, revalidation is by flight check only (not experience).

There are a couple or 3 commercial organisations flying the Caravan in the UK (use the CAA registration database to find them) who may be willing and able to train and test you. Expect to pay up to £500 per hour to fly these beasts.

AMEX
12th Sep 2002, 20:22
Theo Millar whom I am lead to believe flies from Elstree is a 208 CRE/CRI.
Sorry no number but he might be able to organise a Caravan for you (one of the few:()

DiverDriver
13th Sep 2002, 21:54
Thanks Guys. I have found one Porter TRTO but as you advised the cost is high c.>£7K :( Whilst I would love to fly the Porter I will look at the caravan option also but anticipate the same costs. Still this figue is roughly the same as an FI rating would cost so is still a possibility. If anyone knows of a TRTO organisation other than Pilatus who offer a JAR SET rating on the PC-6 please let me know. Once again thanks for the info AMEX & Stan. DD